Old Grom owners that never grew up? (50+?)) - Honda Grom Forum
 12Likes

post #1 of 14 Old 01-01-2016, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Default Old Grom owners that never grew up? (50+?))

Been lurking on this forum and have a 2014 Grom purchased new but decided to finally register and create this thread.

I'm 53 and weigh 220 yet I ride a Grom. It's not my only bike. Matter of fact I have a few bikes that range from Harley's to sport bikes. My 15 Road Glide and 2000 Ducati 996S hit both ends of the spectrum. When I first saw the Grom and its price I knew I wanted one. I first bought it for its pit bike duty around the tracks for track days and at dirt bike events. Pulling this out for track day pit duty or at dirt bike events has everyone line up to ride it. Occasional street rides to the local gym (CrossFit) or to the barber were pretty much all of its minor role in its street bike duties. Oh ya taking the dog for a ride around the neighborhood is another minor role. He rides on my lap and is a full sized Chihuahua.

More recently I really went off the reservation and started practicing wheelies on the Grom. I had infinite balance point wheelies as a bucket list item. A person known to hoist a long wheelie here and there, I never mastered the rear brake control needed to go past balance point and slow a wheelie down and maintain a constant pace and not chase the wheelie to the rev limiter or need to shift.

Well here I am taking an hour a day on off days and heading to a local dead end road to a power grid substation and practicing stunting the Grom. The weather was cool and now cold so the full protective pants and jacket along with FF helmet are welcome. The start of my first hour was learning to clutch it up while shifting my weight and pulling up the front end and then using the rear to close down the wheelie. My longest wheelies were about 30 feet as I would quickly bounce off the rev limiter trying the chase the front end up. My 5th hour of practicing I finally felt that feeling of achieving balance point and going past it and using the rear brake to bring my back up the the balance point. I have ridden more than 1/10 of a mile in a wheelie in my marked off practice spot. I ran out of space at the practice spot and am now looking for a better spot to practice. The weather shifted into winter here in New England and I probably will shut it down till spring.

I recently got pulled over a few days before Christmas for riding a 1st gear wheelie out from my barber showing off. It was a good one as I rode past the autobody shop the guys out front gave me the thumbs up. Then continuing along I notice a pickup truck coming the other way flashed his lights at me in approval, so I kept riding it. Then I saw the cop up on the the upcoming hill hiding a bit behind some bushes. Oh CRAP! That's why that guy was hitting his lights... I went by hoping he didn't see me but when I heard him hit the siren I pulled over. He got out of the car and as I pulled my helmet off. The cop sees my gray hair and you would have laughed to see his face all confused. He was so ready to lay into some punk kid and got an old man instead. LOL. He took my papers while scolding me with, "You should know better than that". Another cop pulled up as the cop grabbed my papers (obviously this was going to be the big bust of the week in the small town). The cop walked back to the other cruiser and showed the other cop my stuff. The both turned and looked at me and laughed. The cop walked back and handed me my papers and said "You're in your 50's and riding like that? Act your age!" I was actually a little offended at that comment. I replied, "You should see me on the race track." He shook his head and let me go without any further inconvenience. LOL

So how many over 50 Grom owners out there? Any stunting the thing? Al I can say is that it is very addictive. I'm having a blast.
FangShui, L!l Shifty and GrMOM like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-01-2016, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Here's my Grom. Akra full exhaust, MTake, Bazzaz along with other bits and bobs.

A shot of me with one of my Harley's and my Duc at last track day this past Sept.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2027.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	8642   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0107.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	8658   Click image for larger version

Name:	Track_Day_2015_Thompson_9-28-15-1473-(ZF-1674-53934-1-002) (2).jpg
Views:	280
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	8666  
FangShui likes this.
post #3 of 14 Old 01-04-2016, 08:23 AM
Senior Grom Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)

id bet a good deal of grom owners are 30+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 01-18-2016, 05:51 PM
Grom Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
So how many over 50 Grom owners out there? Any stunting the thing? Al I can say is that it is very addictive. I'm having a blast.
I'm 63 y.o., 230 lbs. and have been riding for 51 years, since age 12.

The 2015 Grom I bought a month ago for $3,000 + tax & license is #5 bike in my garage. Others are 2009 Suzuki DR200SE, 2013 Honda CB500X set up as an adventure bike, 2013 Yamaha V-Star Deluxe with built-in GPS/Stereo/Bluetooth, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3.

I bought the Grom as a Winter project to modify and re-sell, but knew immediately on the way home from the dealership that it was a keeper. Makes me feel like I'm 12 again. Priceless.

Mods include: Tanaka Racing under-braced aluminum swingarm, Brock's Performance Air Intake, PETEX Belly Pan, BEAMS EVO slip-on, Dual LED Head Light Bar, Racing Boy rear shock, and front & rear wave brake discs.

I also bought front and rear stunt pegs by LOK to use as crash protectors. They look better than standard axle sliders and cost less. Not likely that I'll actually do any stunting, though.

Photos coming soon once snow and ice is all gone from the roads here.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-18-2016, 11:24 PM
Grom Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

Wow! This forum appears to be dying. Only 4 posts today and they were the first ones since the 15th.

I'm not going to bother devoting any more time to this...Adios.

Never Trust The Living!
post #6 of 14 Old 01-19-2016, 01:44 PM
Senior Grom Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)

its winter bro ?
post #7 of 14 Old 01-20-2016, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Age 51, 14 bikes registered and insured, from a KTM 1190 ADV, Harley dresser, to a bunch of dual sports and Japanese antiques. Collected a z50 hardtail and a ct70, but they were too nice to ride so I had to have a Grom when they came out. Everyone who rides my Grom comes back with a smile on their face. My wife even let me put it in the house for the winter to get that little extra bit of room in the garage to get her car inside for snowy weather. It's resting in the minibike museum with the antique Hondas.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_2666.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	211.6 KB
ID:	8690  
FangShui and ducatirdr like this.
post #8 of 14 Old 01-21-2016, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

another chiming' in to the 50+ club

as a kid, on different occasions, we had a mini bike, a Honda trail 90. I had never really got into riding.

Around 25 yrs young, my first street bike was a 91 YSR. Since then, I've had various big bikes; a couple of Ninja 250's (old and new gen), Yamaha FZ 600, Suzuki Wolf 250 (2-stroke, RGV class), and a Gixxer 600.

Last season, I bought a Grom to mostly commute with (26 miles a day), and for some mini group ride fun.

My track bike is a 04 NSR 50 fitted with a Honda 4t 120cc BBK. Loads of fun, for sure. I started racing mini's (w/ a YSR) in late 2003. I lost interest in racing in 2008, and also, the wife told me to stop bringing home trophies ...... lol Although, I had attended a couple races this last race season for the fun of it, and to see if I still have it. I did better than I had expected.

My weekend fun bike is a Ninja 300 (team green), for back road twisty fun. Once in a while, I dabble on dirt with my bro's crf230.
FangShui and ducatirdr like this.
post #9 of 14 Old 02-10-2016, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Default Not quite in the 50+ club but close!

Well, ducatirdr, I'll be 50 in less than 3 years and I think my story is pretty similar to yours. You can read my intro (just posted yesterday) here.

I also have a Harley and a Ducati, V-Rod and 999 respectively. I also recently bought an SV650 for racing in the lightweight class. I just got my first taste of Grom and like most, it makes me feel like I did riding my neighbor's minibike when I was a kid... smiles for days!

I bought my first motorcycle in my early 20's when I lived in Los Angeles so I could cut my commute down splitting lanes. I bought a Yamaha Seca II in about 91 or 92 and rode the Crest Hwy whenever I could make the time. It was stolen after a few years and I didn't have a bike again until reaching my 40's when I got the V-Rod.

Already into track events (HPDE) with a Boxster, I was easily drawn to track events with a bike, even though I was already in my mid-40's. So, there's the 999. After doing a couple of years of track days I realized that I was faster than most guys out there, regardless of age, and a friend convinced me that I should race. After some tough listening from track coaches, I finally resisted the temptation to buy a 2015 R1 and get the SV instead, with the intention of working on my skills a greater rate, as opposed to being seduced by the horsepower and gee-whiz tech of the R1. So I dove into club racing with the SV in the lightweight class (came in 1st place in my first amateur race last month). I knew my racing coach worked out with a Grom so I signed up to have a Grom training session with him and BOOM!... I'm hooked.

I've had the back end of my 999 step out on the track at speed and those fleeting moments are always good learning experiences. But being able to throw a Grom around a parking lot is priceless!

And yes, I am now totally interested in learning how to wheelie the Grom (even though I've never wheelied a motorcycle before). And stoppie and whatever other shenanigans present themselves! My racing coach began his professional motorcycle career as a stunt rider, so I'm sure I can get some good direction on the basics. Now I just need a Grom of my own...

Stay tuned!

Training on my buddy's Grom last Sunday...

Other pics attached of my V-Rod and tracking my 999 at Laguna Seca last June...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Desert Muscle x33x.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	878.4 KB
ID:	8865   Click image for larger version

Name:	999 Laguna Seca.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	8873  
FangShui likes this.
post #10 of 14 Old 02-11-2016, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

It was a wise person that talked you into the SV for racing. I raced one back in 02-05 in CCS endurance racing with a bud. Keeping tires on the 1000's or the 600's becomes quite a chore. Enjoy the fun of racing on and off the track. The best time of my life. You know the joke in racing?

- How do you make a small fortune in racing?
- Start with a large fortune.

Now I stick to track days. The thrill at 80% is just as fun as going all out.

I'm building my Grom for track duty with full CARD front and rear suspension from MNNTBX and sticky Michelin's. DCR cam is on it now as well. Best dollar per bhp invested so far.
FangShui and Ear2Ear like this.

User Tag List