1Likes
  • 1 Post By KrazySapper

post #1 of 7 Old 10-05-2016, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Default Grom blackout drive light control module

So I just finished creating a blackout control module for my 2017 Honda Grom. It replaces your stock light controller on the left handle bar and gives you the same options as the stock control module as well as 2 other options:

Option 1:
There is a switch on this control module that gives you the option to run with lights on or lights out. It will only take away headlight and tail light so if you hit the horn or blinker those options will still work in blackout mode.

Option 2:
There is another pass switch that is a hold down activation. This will power the headlight when in blackout mode and works with high beams and low beams according to how you have it set on the module. This gives you the option to quickly hit the pass button for quick bursts of light or hold it down to keep the light on and release when you want to go back to blackout mode.

Is this something that anyone would be interested in purchasing? I am not sure how much I would sell them for and it would require you to send in your stock control module or pay a core charge. I would like to keep my price around $100, but depending on costs of parts it may have to be closer to $150 or even $200. If people are ok with used parts I can keep the price down, if they want new parts price will have to increase. I only use good condition used parts that may have minor defects but will be in perfect working order. If there is an interest in this I could start a test order to get them out there and hear some feedback on them. Let me know what you guys think. I will post some pics of my setup later this week after I get my bike back together as I have a few other things I am doing to mine. There also might be some other add on options like I installed smaller dim LEDs for dim light option with a switch to change between headlight and dim light when in blackout mode.

Current lineup:
2017 Honda Grom
2007 YZ450F Supermoto Street Legal
2005 YZ250 Two Stroke!!!!
2000 Honda RC51
1997 Honda Helix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-05-2016, 02:09 PM
Senior Grom Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)

pics would help
post #3 of 7 Old 10-05-2016, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazySapper View Post
I will post some pics of my setup later this week after I get my bike back together as I have a few other things I am doing to mine.
Later this week.

Current lineup:
2017 Honda Grom
2000 Honda RC51
1997 Honda Helix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-07-2016, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage

The other option would be for me to do a build thread on my setup so anyone can build one and if anyone wants one made they could contact me to build one for them. It does require splicing in to your headlight and tail light grounds as they need to be interrupted for the blackout option. Either way the first part is understanding how your bike is wired. I posted this in 2 other posts, but I'll put it here as well. The 2017 Honda Grom wiring diagram is attached. You can message me for a higher quality picture, otherwise, Helm makes the manual and it now covers all groms. It just has supplements added in where the new Grom is different from the older Grom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gromforum.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	242.3 KB
ID:	9441  
hondarider likes this.

Current lineup:
2017 Honda Grom
2000 Honda RC51
1997 Honda Helix
post #5 of 7 Old 10-07-2016, 08:33 AM
Senior Grom Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)

pics?
post #6 of 7 Old 10-07-2016, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage

Since I still don't have my bike back together I just nabbed a pic off the internet just for you! Note, I purchased a 2007 GSXR light controller that did not have any damage, the one in the pic is damaged. Only real difference between the older model and the newer (2017) model for this setup is the headlight wires. On the 2017, you need to splice into the brown/white wire, on the older model you just need to interrupt the ground. I am not responsible if you **** your bike up as this takes some knowledge of of how these things work and mine is still in the testing phase since the 2017 Grom headlight grounds(yes there is more than 1) come out of the regulator/rectifier and the older model headlight is grounded to the frame. So older model you are just interrupting grounds attached to the frame, simple. The 2017 model your brake light is ran off of a frame ground and the headlight has 2 grounds that come from the regulator/rectifier. The one that I have chosen to interrupt is the brown wire with a white stripe. Since the hazard switch combines the grounds together I didn't want to ground the headlight to the frame so instead I now have my taillight grounded through the hazard switch to the brown/white headlight wire, that is my ground in if that makes sense.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blackout.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	9449  

Current lineup:
2017 Honda Grom
2000 Honda RC51
1997 Honda Helix
post #7 of 7 Old 05-07-2017, 01:39 AM
POE

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I think KrazySapper made his first unit for himself and then made mine after that. Been running it all spring. It works great!

User Tag List