Turbo charged grom - Honda Grom Forum
 9Likes

#1 Old 06-12-2013, 04:39 PM
Grom Member

Default Turbo charged grom

Once im bored with the bore kit upgrade and cam im going to be testing this. Maybe late next year, but its going to happen.

Small Engine Turbo Charger - Small Turbo Kits | RHB31 VZ21 Turbo charger

Just need to figure out where it will fit, there is not much room under the tank. Where theres a will theres a way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-12-2013, 04:44 PM
Grom Member

that's pretty badass. always loved the idea of going boosted on bikes but it's not a common thing from what I have seen. Which bore kit are you getting?

Wondering what the power output would be like with a turbo like this. 200cc bore kit with turbo will just be nuts,
#3 Old 06-13-2013, 08:11 AM
Senior Grom Member

That is going to be a serious project.

I would be very interested to see gains and engine durability. I would imagine there would need to be custom work done with the exhaust manifold and intake piping.

Would you need an intercooler for such a small turbo?
#4 Old 06-13-2013, 08:31 AM
Grom Member

Default Turbo grom

Quote:
Originally Posted by chye View Post
That is going to be a serious project.

I would be very interested to see gains and engine durability. I would imagine there would need to be custom work done with the exhaust manifold and intake piping.

Would you need an intercooler for such a small turbo?
I know a guy here locally that does custom stainless steel exhaust work and my sister in law runs/programs a CNC laser. That shouldn't be problem getting all the hardware made. The turbo puts out about 5-7lbs of boost from what I've read. Last year i drew up a brake caliper mount for a brembo caliper, gave it to her, she converted it to G code and cut it out of stainless for me. Heres a pic, It works perfectly. The caliper is from a ktm 125 dirtbike. Its a very cool machine. If you can imagine it, it can cut it out. This mount took about 4 hrs to program, 8 sec to cut.

As far as reliability, it's a honda engine so it should hold up quite well, but we will see.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	995
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	177  

Last edited by Snakeibf; 06-13-2013 at 08:34 AM.
#5 Old 06-13-2013, 08:42 AM
Senior Grom Member

I will be curious to see how everything turns out. With this kind of turbo what kind of top speed will the Grom be able to hit?
#6 Old 06-13-2013, 01:42 PM
Senior Grom Member

I would be worried about how long that engine would last. Honda engines are bullet proof but once you change it this much with a bore kit and turbo you kind of throw out the reliability along with it. It would be ridiculous, this Grom would fly.
#7 Old 06-13-2013, 01:44 PM
Senior Grom Member

With that much power I would look in to improving the brake system for stopping power. When ever you make anything faster the rule of thumb is to have an upgraded brake system to match up. I would think about double disc and calipers if I was to go this route.
#8 Old 06-13-2013, 01:46 PM
Senior Grom Member

For such a small motor even with the bore kit I wonder how much boost it can handle from the turbo. Tuning it would be the biggest part to make it run at optimal. I would hate for it to have boost lag where the power just comes like a on/off switch. That would scare the crap out of any rider.
#9 Old 06-13-2013, 02:25 PM
Grom Member

Guess ill just have to try it to find out, but that will still be a way off.
#10 Old 06-13-2013, 02:26 PM
Senior Grom Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Dave View Post
I would be worried about how long that engine would last. Honda engines are bullet proof but once you change it this much with a bore kit and turbo you kind of throw out the reliability along with it. It would be ridiculous, this Grom would fly.
Honda engines are pretty reliable even when modded. That's probably why so many Tuners buy Honda.