how to recover lost key - Honda Grom Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 14 Old 02-23-2015, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Default how to recover lost key

I'm new to this forum this will be my first post. I've done tons of searches and research in this subject and have not found much rock solid advice.

Recently I lost my key for my Grom and now I can not even find my spare. I do not have the code. I bought the bike with about 600 miles so I only have what the previous owner gave me. I have called dealers who all try to upsell me on a full lock set but I'm pretty sure I can get a locksmith to get me a key for much less. Ive heard these bikes have the code on the lock switch and should be a 3 digit code starting with a letter and then 2 numbers. Any truth to this?

Also I have heard the original dealer usually has the key code on file but this was not the case when I called the original dealer. What makes it even tougher is this dealer is about 2 hours from me.

Anybody else been through this and cab offer any advice on what route to go? I've gotten quotes from locksmiths ranging from $27-300 which is a pretty dramatic range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-25-2015, 08:21 AM
Senior Grom Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)

it would take a lot of knowledge to get a key to match from a locksmith... toss your whole house, garage etc and find that spare!

-Sergei
'14 grom, '03 sv1000 x2, '03 sv650 trackbike, '08 wr250r, '0something crf100 mini supermoto
Previously: '05 gs500f, '07 sv650, '09 dorsoduro, '98 yzf600r, '04 sv650, '06 sprint st, '95 rm125 supermoto, '04 ktm65 mini supermoto, '72 cb350, '01 super sherpa, '04 nsr50
post #3 of 14 Old 02-25-2015, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Oh I have. It has been missing for months. I recently remodels my room tearing out all carpet and furniture and have not found anything. I'm at wits end here. Maybe I'm better off getting a lockset but I can't imagine that being any easy task to replace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 02-26-2015, 10:40 AM
Senior Grom Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)

the hardest part will be getting the tank lock off as well as getting the seat off without breaking anything. everything else is not too bad.

-Sergei
'14 grom, '03 sv1000 x2, '03 sv650 trackbike, '08 wr250r, '0something crf100 mini supermoto
Previously: '05 gs500f, '07 sv650, '09 dorsoduro, '98 yzf600r, '04 sv650, '06 sprint st, '95 rm125 supermoto, '04 ktm65 mini supermoto, '72 cb350, '01 super sherpa, '04 nsr50
post #5 of 14 Old 03-03-2015, 06:40 AM

Garage

my key code is several numbers...
to be exact 8 numbers, no letters... on 2014 Grom

key code "may" be on the ignition lock. and Honda may actually have a way to cut from code... 'maybe' at some locations .
an "In person" visit to local dealer with:
vin number, title, photo ID and $50 bill in hand might help .
They have rules about not cutting keys on demand for just anyone...to cut down on theft.. especially phoned in requests for keys from 'vin'...no way.

my key code is absolutely
on a small bare aluminum metal tag appx 1"x0.25" or about the width of a key blade and half the length of exposed metal portion of key blade...with a square hole in one end.

sometimes these code tags are in with the vehicle paperwork stapled or taped to ' page in book' or loose in a plastic bag/envelope somewhere in the {dealer/customer packet}.

My aluminum key code tab was on the keys ring with keys when I bought the bike.

'Some locksmiths' have a tool that reads the key code from the lock itself.. through insertion..
I have seen it done in Salt Lake UTAH...
The Freightliner Semi Trucks dealer knew a local locksmith who had the tool and could do this.
""not a cheap tool and not everyone has it""

OR, YOU COULD HAVE THE KEYSWITCH RE-KEYED TO TAKE BLANK UN-CUT KEYS "ONLY".....

"or use a randomly cut key cut to your own code and make several alike" if you do this... I suggest one or maybe two notches near tip which keeps key strong and still provides coding and spring retention of key..

re-keying to 'blank+uncut' would cure current concern and... if this lost key or broken/bent key concern ever happens again it will be "no big deal"... because any uncut blank will fit but 'no' cut key will turn the lock.

uncut key solution 'may' also allow key to come out with lock in any position..and go safely into pocket where it is less likely to get lost or allow entire keys ring to scratch bike and also this keys in pocket prevents keys cuttng holes in rider's face in event of rough road or unexpected impact of face on control panel.....
Yes, really, it can happen.

Quit fretting and deal with this 'little problem' before lot rot sets in and ruins your bike.

Replacement blank keys are now available. I bought one recently. Un-cut keys also resist bending more than cut keys... yes, I have done this before ...with a house door locks and vehicle keys.
post #6 of 14 Old 03-03-2015, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again r the responses. I have been referred to a guy out here that is pretty well known for being able to get this done. I was referred by 3 different people so I'll try him out. Just having trouble locating a local dealer with a blank key. May just order it online
200-POUND-RIDER likes this.
post #7 of 14 Old 07-26-2016, 02:01 AM

I also got my bike "3rd hand". I only have one key and no key code.I also lost my key but Abigail Locksmith cut a key based on the existing key.
post #8 of 14 Old 07-26-2016, 10:39 AM
Senior Grom Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)

go to dealership
post #9 of 14 Old 08-08-2016, 02:27 AM

You should go to the Locksmith, they will disable the one you lost and set up a new one. Right now if someone found the lost one they have your car! I think you will need the tag that was on the fob when you got it - my Locksmith told me to save that tag in a safe place.
post #10 of 14 Old 01-19-2017, 04:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

How a Locksmith will disable all the setup can you please describe here briefly Mr Jim.

User Tag List