Don't waste money on rear shock - Honda Grom Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gromkhana

post #1 of 7 Old 09-15-2014, 02:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Default Don't waste money on rear shock

Some of you prob know, some may not, so I'm just sharing some general info. 2 good rear shocks a lot of people like, YSS shock and Ohlin's, YSS is a fair bit cheaper yet they both performed the same on a shock dyno so if your looking to upgrade go with YSS.
Another thing is putting a new performance rear shock on the grom is pretty much a waste of money unless your just goin for looks. If your doin it for performance you have to upgrade the swing arm bushings. The grom has stiff rubber bushings in the swing arm pivot so if you've taken your rear shock off before you may have noticed the rear end doesn't squat it kinda stays where it is even if you push on it it doesn't move freely. That's the bushings in the pivot.
To make your aftermarket performance shock act like it should and give the performance your looking for you need to remove those bushings and have some bearings pressed in. This will allow the pivot to move freely like on a super sport bike and will allow your new investment to work the way it was meant to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-15-2014, 09:12 AM
Senior Grom Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)

the stock shock is almost rideable too. I tracked the grom on it. The forks on the other hand... Something *MUST* be done with those unless you're slow or into crap handling...

-Sergei
'14 grom, '03 sv1000, '03 sv650, '03 sv650 trackbike, '08 wr250r, '0something crf100 mini supermoto, '12 kayo mr125gp
Previously: '05 gs500f, '07 sv650, '09 dorsoduro, '98 yzf600r, '04 sv650, '06 sprint st, '95 rm125 supermoto, '04 ktm65 mini supermoto, '72 cb350, '01 super sherpa, '04 nsr50
post #3 of 7 Old 09-15-2014, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Yea the front forks suck, Brian S from kickass racing makes a air valve kit for the front forks, can stiffen em up and adjust them to wear you want them by adjusting the air pressure, seems to work pretty good from what my friend john tells me who has Brian's actual grom, and a lot cheaper than new forks and springs, I'm still pimping around on the stock suspension and I can keep up so I'm cool with that for the time being. There's been talk within our group about doin a grom track day next season so I may upgrade if I'm gunna start that lol
CrazyJoe likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-15-2014, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Good to know!
post #5 of 7 Old 09-15-2014, 09:29 PM

Yup. My first mods were all suspension related: the Racetech Gold Valve fork kit, new alum swing arm with the BrianS bearing upgrade and then the Ohlins shock from Tyga and new Michelin rubber.

Feels like a completely transformed ride.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-20-2020, 04:29 PM

Thank you very much, this information has helped me a lot. I solved the problem.
I understand you very well. We also had problems at the beginning of our relationship. You just need to know how to properly allocate your finances. A couple of years ago, I wanted to start a business or invest money, but my wife was against it. I decided to seek help and support and found an article about financial advisors. I was surprised that there are people who help you manage your money. They have helped us a lot, and I advise you to try not to lose money. I applied here yourmoneygeek.com
post #7 of 7 Old 01-05-2021, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenLee View Post
Thank you very much, this information has helped me a lot. I solved the problem.
I understand you very well. We also had problems at the beginning of our relationship. You just need to know how to properly allocate your finances. A couple of years ago, I wanted to start a business or invest money, but my wife was against it. I decided to seek help and support and found an article about financial advisors. I was surprised that there are people who help you manage your money. They have helped us a lot, and I advise you to try not to lose money. I applied here yourmoneygeek.com
Hello Steven Lee,
I found your thread and it was so helpful to me. I just got an idea about the financial banking systems and this site helps me a lot. Thank you very much Steven for sharing this link.

User Tag List