Grom vs Sym Wolf Classic 150 - Page 5 - Honda Grom Forum
 4Likes

post #41 of 49 Old 06-14-2014, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Grom Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I set preload on the Wolf to the maximum today. It's a bit better than before, but still not very good. It needs stiffer springs, and a better shocks. Now the choice is between good engine and shitty suspension (Wolf) and good suspension and shitty engine (Grom).

2007 BMW R1200S, 2009 Buell 1125CR, 2012 Sym Wolf Classic 150, 2014 Honda Grom (sold), 66cc 2-stroke motorized bicycle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 49 Old 10-10-2014, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Grom Member

I sold my Grom. Sym Wolf is a better bike. Adios!

2007 BMW R1200S, 2009 Buell 1125CR, 2012 Sym Wolf Classic 150, 2014 Honda Grom (sold), 66cc 2-stroke motorized bicycle.
post #43 of 49 Old 10-12-2014, 02:02 PM
Senior Grom Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to CiscoSanJose

Quote:
Originally Posted by yugi View Post
I sold my Grom. Sym Wolf is a better bike. Adios!
Congrats ride safe on the Sym Wolf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 49 Old 01-29-2015, 09:41 PM
H B

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I would love to buy myself a WOLF, but the grom is nice as well.

from the data, it seems that the GROM makes most power at 6750RPM. Not at 8+k RPM like mentioned before.
It's also been said that the grom has a top speed of ~60MPH @8K RPM.
The hp curve I got from this dyno sheet:
https://www.gromforum.com/forum/membe...dyno-sheet.png

If that's true, then the best sprocket upgrade for faster riding would be a 17t front. It would give you ~13% better mpg, and less torque (bringing the MPG up to 96MPG), and top speed just over 60MPH, est ~65MPH when ducked forward, or riding with tail wind..

If the wolf makes 8200 RPM at 65MPH tops.
Changing the sprockets from 15/41 to 17/39 gets it up to 100MPG (19% change)
I'd love to see some numbers of 4th gear ratios on the sym.

How much higher can you bring the handlebars?
At the position where they are, they don't provide comfortable seating; the GROM's are way better.
I know they try to cut wind, increase performance by sitting ducked forward, but it's just more uncomfortable.
post #45 of 49 Old 01-30-2015, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Grom Member

I prefer Wolf's sitting position much better than Grom's.
I replaced front sproket on Wolf and now running 16t in front. I'm getting between 65 and 70 mph, sometimes reaching 75 mph. The max power on Wolf is at 9500 rpm, and that happens when running at 75 mph with current sprocket setup.

post #46 of 49 Old 03-01-2015, 11:26 PM
H B

Too bad there's not too much hard data (torque curves) to be found on the wolf...

I equipped my Honda Rebel with a double overdrive.
From stock 14/33t I decided to install a 15/30, which worked fine. The engine had still more to give, and I rode many miles on a 15/28t.
I wasn't too happy with my highway mileage. In 5th, I was balasting the engine too much, and in 4th the engine spinned too hard to keep highway miles.
Cruising in 5th was nice at 35MPH, and I mostly cruise at 40MPH, where the handlebars started buzzing.
So I decided to further go to a 15/25t, to get 90MPG at best.
At 40MPH the engine should be buzzing butter smooth in the 3k rpm range.
In 4th I now should have most optimal highway gear (going 85MPH, instead of 83).

So, instead of going with a wolf, I decided to make my Honda Rebel, more what I want it to be.
post #47 of 49 Old 03-02-2015, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Grom Member

Actually I was wrong about my gearing. The stock front sprocket is 16t, and I replaced it with 17t. It gives me exactly what I want. 65-70 mph sustained top speed on a highway, and sometimes going up to 75 (I've seen 76 once), depending on conditions. I don't think Wolf got enough power to go for taller gearing. I'm thinking about the possibility about putting Nighthawk 250/Rebel motor into a Wolf in a future. Nighthawk is a nice and light bike, but the wheelbase it too long, and the rake is too large, I prefer Wolf's frame and geometry over Nighthawk's.

post #48 of 49 Old 03-18-2016, 12:48 AM

I have ridden the Wolf. I have inspected the Wolf with a fine tooth comb. I love it's looks. Unfortunately that's all it has. It feels cheap and flimsy compared to the Grom. I don't believe the Grom would make a good off road bike, especially a heavier person like me, but I'm sure it would hold up better than the Wolf. I got it to replace a Yamaha Vino 125 scooter. The scooter had the advantage in town, no shifting. Neither are freeway legal, I have bigger bikes for that. I had put 34,000 miles on the Vino 125 when the third belt broke, for no reason I could ever find. I mean it literally shredded. I fixed it and rode it a couple thousand miles, but never trusted it again, since I never actually found out what happened. So I sold it. Another big problem with the scooter is that it wouldn't climb. I mean it wouldn't climb at all. Half my state is desert, the other half is mountains. With the scooter I was restricted to the desert part. The scooters CVT lacked low enough gearing to climb steep mountain grades. I actually tested this by using a clip on tachometer designed for a Jr. dragster. I checked RPMs at top cruising speed on a flat level road. Just over 9000. I then checked them climbing a steep hill with a heavy load (mostly me) RPMs were just over 5000. Way below the powerband. No wonder it wouldn't climb. With the Grom, I can downshift it enough to keep the engine spinning in the powerband. Yes, it's slow going, but it's not doing any damage. Even fully loaded 18 wheelers climb these grades in first gear. So I would say that if you never leave town, a CVT scooter has the advantage. If you rack up a lot of miles on secondary highways like me, and like to ride in the mountains, the Grom has a big advantage.

As for the SYM Wolf 150, I do not trust SYM. Or actually their importer, Alliance Powersports. SYM builds high quality scooters. I now own an HD200 for in town use. And I have had issues getting parts for it. I am afraid Alliance is going to go belly up, and if they do, that means no parts for any SYM products. With Honda, you just go to bikebandit.com, order the parts, and they arrive at your front door in a few days.
FangShui likes this.
post #49 of 49 Old 03-26-2016, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Grom Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bob View Post
I have ridden the Wolf. I have inspected the Wolf with a fine tooth comb. I love it's looks. Unfortunately that's all it has. It feels cheap and flimsy compared to the Grom. I don't believe the Grom would make a good off road bike, especially a heavier person like me, but I'm sure it would hold up better than the Wolf.

As for the SYM Wolf 150, I do not trust SYM. Or actually their importer, Alliance Powersports. SYM builds high quality scooters. I now own an HD200 for in town use. And I have had issues getting parts for it. I am afraid Alliance is going to go belly up, and if they do, that means no parts for any SYM products. With Honda, you just go to bikebandit.com, order the parts, and they arrive at your front door in a few days.
I have more than 6k miles on odometer, and there was no single problem with a bike. There were report here on this forum about Grom's loose nuts and bolts. Nothing like that on Sym for more than 2 years I own it. No single part fell off. For parts,I had to order from directly from Taiwan. There is dealer http://www.scooterseals.com , he is Canadian, and ships pretty fast. I had my parts within one week. For US specfic parts I had to turn to the dealer. There were 2 parts which were US specific (speedometer and a battery cover). I had to wait for more than 3 months, and they didn't have the parts. Finally, they took it off some other bike, but I've got free tachometer as well. I complained to Sym in Taiwan. I still prefer Sym over Grom. It's faster, and costs less. It's overall better bike than Grom.

User Tag List