Which is better for beginners? CBR250 or Grom - Page 5 - Honda Grom Forum
 5Likes

post #41 of 61 Old 07-28-2013, 11:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Totally different...for a teenager, the grom would be a hoot. For anyone truly wanting to learn how to ride, the cbr has the ergos of a true motorcycle. Totally different classes...now if only they'd put the 250 single in the grom frame with some usable gearing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 61 Old 07-28-2013, 11:42 PM
Senior Grom Member

The lighter weight of a Grom would make it more forgiving until you get onto balance, use of clutch, use of brake. Get to leaning wrong on a heavier bike and it can drop. You might be able to save the Grom at only 225 lbs if it starts to fall over.

We do not have classes of bikes in the US. The only distinction is between a moped which most states limit to 50cc and about 30 mph which requires no motorcycle license (with some exceptions) and anything larger which does require the motorcycle license to be legal. In Texas, a Metropolitan and Ruckus both with 50 cc. are classified as mopeds, but the 50cc Aprilia Sportcity is considered a motorcycle because it goes a bit faster...42 mph or so. Both mopeds and motorcycles require a license plate that generally costs the same. Real moped owners object to the use of the term moped to describe anything without pedals, but the states use the term to define what is and is not a legal 50cc or under motorized vehicle. Some of the small scooters have what are called restrictions to top speed...things like smaller exhausts in order to slow the 50cc bike down to legal speed limits (ususally 30 mph in most states), but that is a performance restriction to allow the bike to be called a moped. The first thing everyone does, is circumvent those mechanical restrictions to get a few more mph. If you have a 100 cc. bike it will be called a motorcycle even if it only goes 30 mph....50 cc is the cutoff in all states far as I know. Many people call any small bike a moped, but not the states who apply registration laws. Oh, a moped requires a regular car driver's license though, or a special moped license, just not the motorcycle license in addition.
post #43 of 61 Old 07-30-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaNation View Post
The CBR250 is obviously a full sized bike, which the Grom isn't. But I often read the CBR250 is great a learner's bike. How does the Grom compare to it?
I have not seen a grom yet, but I have been around the CBR250 and CBR500. The 250 feels like a toy in my hands, and the seating position is rather awkward for me. I'm 5'8 and as average as can be. It just doesnt feel right. The 500 on the other-hand is more my cup of tea, and not for it's extra liters. It's comfortable, Solid feeling, and is large enough to not leave me feeling like I'm riding on a bicycle in traffic. I'd imagine the grom would be great for learning on city roads and for tooling around, much like a scooter with a shift pedal. I hear great things about the CBR250 but in my opinion it just feels cheap compared with the rest of honda's line up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 61 Old 08-01-2013, 11:28 AM
Senior Grom Member

The CBR500 is a great choice for beginners. Looks awesome too.

27HP John Deere Z655
8HP Shop-Vac Pro
8HP Metro MB-3 Blower
9HP Honda GROM??
post #45 of 61 Old 08-08-2013, 12:02 PM

The Grom would be awesome in a university town to get around campus, have easy parking, zip back and forth to classes and such. And you could store it inside your apartment!
post #46 of 61 Old 08-14-2013, 02:19 PM

The Grom is a more forgiving learner bike because it appears less sucseptible to damage (broken fairings, lights, levers) in case of a tipover. Beginners drop bikes, even lightweights (the bike, not necessarily the rider! ). Drops can happen when you have to stop suddenly, when you're riding at slow speeds (say, in a parking lot), or when you simply lose your balance. Even happens when you're not even on the bike, like when it rolls or vibrates off its kickstand. Happens to all of us, and it hurts less when the bike started off as less expensive and with fewer parts.
post #47 of 61 Old 08-15-2013, 11:29 AM

I could see using the Grom to introduce yourself to a motorcycle and get the theory of shifting and all that fun stuff. As for being your main bike not so much. If you were thinking of using it as a commuter like a scooter ya. If you want to use it for actually riding and motorcycling the 250 would be a better choice. Id love a Grom to mess around on and have fun.
post #48 of 61 Old 08-21-2013, 09:40 PM
Grom Member

Default cool

cool
post #49 of 61 Old 08-22-2013, 02:33 PM

Grom for sure!
post #50 of 61 Old 08-22-2013, 07:48 PM

I've heard a lot of folks write about the wish for a 250 Grom. Perhaps if enough of us are vocal they'll give it some consideration.

User Tag List