5Likes

post #51 of 61 Old 08-22-2013, 11:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chye View Post
I agree with HBK.

Different bikes. The 250 could be a proper commuter. The GROM might have its limitations.

After looking at some grom rider vids it looks like a run-around mini scooter for putting around a small town
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 61 Old 08-23-2013, 11:41 AM

The Grom is perfect for commuting to and from work. My work is 7 miles away and I don't have to ride on the freeway to get there so the Grom is a huge step up from a Honda Ruckus that's for sure. Don't all the full sized bikes have six speeds and not 4? or is 4 the standard for all?
post #53 of 61 Old 08-23-2013, 12:44 PM

The nice thing about a 250cc motor, is you have enough power to accelerate out of some trouble if you need to. I dropped three teeth on the rear sprocket on my KLX-250S because I didn't need a 70MPH top end and wanted more acceleration for the street and power for sand and hill climbs off road. It would rumble along at 45MPH for a nice leisurely ride to work but, it still had enough oomph to pull away at a light if some cager was crowding me or, accelerate away if someone was coming over into my lane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 61 Old 08-30-2013, 01:20 PM

I might have to start considering a grom for commuting to campus now. I think I'll have more fun with the agility of a grom than the straight speed of a full-sized bike.
post #55 of 61 Old 08-30-2013, 01:30 PM
Senior Grom Member

Well I believe people should learn to ride in the dirt, but I'd say either, just depending on how it fit the rider. Forget everything else. If the rider fits on it and is comfortable, that's a strong foundation for learning.
post #56 of 61 Old 08-30-2013, 09:49 PM
Senior Grom Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedevilws6 View Post
Well I believe people should learn to ride in the dirt, but I'd say either, just depending on how it fit the rider. Forget everything else. If the rider fits on it and is comfortable, that's a strong foundation for learning.
Riding in the dirt is fun as hell! Best time ever!

witty signature
post #57 of 61 Old 08-31-2013, 09:47 AM
Grom Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

i have a ruckus now. and commuting for work its perfect. but i would like to be able to get out on the main roads (45mph) then i would be able to ride everywhere....vs just to work. i wouldn't mind a cbr250 but the gas mileage isn't there and the grom looks like a lot more fun. although i get some hate on the ruckus and i'm sure i'll be the butt of a of a few jokes on the grom...but i don't care. i can't wait to get a grom!

Wanting a Grom...Selling my 2013 Ruckus!
https://www.gromforum.com/forum/other...ruckus-tn.html
FOR SALE: 2013 Honda Ruckus...$2,500/Local Pickup---HPI Baja 5T RTR...$700/Local Pickup---29cc Motor...$225/Shippped
post #58 of 61 Old 08-31-2013, 10:12 AM
Senior Grom Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksnobords View Post
i have a ruckus now. and commuting for work its perfect. but i would like to be able to get out on the main roads (45mph) then i would be able to ride everywhere....vs just to work. i wouldn't mind a cbr250 but the gas mileage isn't there and the grom looks like a lot more fun. although i get some hate on the ruckus and i'm sure i'll be the butt of a of a few jokes on the grom...but i don't care. i can't wait to get a grom!
Chr has decent mileage I thought?

witty signature
post #59 of 61 Old 09-12-2013, 02:09 PM
Senior Grom Member

It doesnt get much easier than the grom although you cant really use it on highways.
post #60 of 61 Old 09-18-2013, 05:22 PM
Grom Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidpost View Post
The nice thing about a 250cc motor, is you have enough power to accelerate out of some trouble if you need to. I dropped three teeth on the rear sprocket on my KLX-250S because I didn't need a 70MPH top end and wanted more acceleration for the street and power for sand and hill climbs off road. It would rumble along at 45MPH for a nice leisurely ride to work but, it still had enough oomph to pull away at a light if some cager was crowding me or, accelerate away if someone was coming over into my lane.

You mean you went UP 3 teeth on the back? Down 3 would be taller gearing...i.e. less acceleration and higher top speed. I used to have the klx-250 Great bike!

User Tag List