Honda Grom Forum

Honda Grom Forum (https://www.gromforum.com/forum/honda-grom-forum.html)
-   Honda Grom Versus the Competition (https://www.gromforum.com/forum/honda-grom-versus-competition/)
-   -   Which is better for beginners? CBR250 or Grom (https://www.gromforum.com/forum/honda-grom-versus-competition/6378-better-beginners-cbr250-grom.html)

HondaNation 06-20-2013 01:36 PM

Which is better for beginners? CBR250 or Grom

The CBR250 is obviously a full sized bike, which the Grom isn't. But I often read the CBR250 is great a learner's bike. How does the Grom compare to it?

HBK 06-20-2013 06:08 PM

I see the grom as just a fun bike to mess around with, not something I would daily ride like I would with the CBR250. If I was just starting out and needed something to commute to and from work...CBR250 would be it. Plus I don't like the idea of the Grom topping out at 65MPH. I rather be able to ride at 65MPH and past that without worrying im topping my bike out

jthspace 06-21-2013 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HBK (Post 93714)
I see the grom as just a fun bike to mess around with, not something I would daily ride like I would with the CBR250. If I was just starting out and needed something to commute to and from work...CBR250 would be it. Plus I don't like the idea of the Grom topping out at 65MPH. I rather be able to ride at 65MPH and past that without worrying im topping my bike out

Have to agree with that, sensible analysis.

What are you looking for, commuting, fun? How many miles do you anticipate riding?

I had a Honda 250 Dream waaaaay back, it was a great bike.

Jeff

GregW 06-21-2013 05:47 AM

I still think if the Grom as a cool mini bike toy. It would be easy to learn on, but it's a little toy for me!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

supermoto 06-21-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregW (Post 93978)
I still think if the Grom as a cool mini bike toy. It would be easy to learn on, but it's a little toy for me!

That's the best way to describe the Grom. It's a toy. The CBR is a full bike.

chye 06-22-2013 09:55 PM

I agree with HBK.

Different bikes. The 250 could be a proper commuter. The GROM might have its limitations.

GregW 06-23-2013 08:28 AM

The 250 is a beginners/learners bike. The average guy would be kinda embarrassed to ride one. I couldn't park my cbr900 and ride a cbr250. The grom is awesome! It's a gangsta little super moto mini bike. To me there is NO comparison.
That's like comparing a Lotus Elise to a VW Beetle because thy are both small 4 cylinder cars. Nothing alike. Not even the same ballpark.

On another note I did see two young men with wife beaters on, riding together on one CBR250. Seriously. My wife and son pointed out he two guys on a bike together and I noted it was a cbr250.

HondaNation 06-23-2013 05:41 PM

Ideally I'd like to get the Grom as a fun bike to play around with and a full size bike for commuter/distance riding/speed. But I think the Grom would keep my attention longer than getting a 250cc bike, which I can see myself easily getting tired of or outgrowing. Grom first it is. :) A full bike like the CBR600RR after.

chye 06-23-2013 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregW (Post 96154)
The 250 is a beginners/learners bike. The average guy would be kinda embarrassed to ride one. I couldn't park my cbr900 and ride a cbr250. The grom is awesome! It's a gangsta little super moto mini bike. To me there is NO comparison.
That's like comparing a Lotus Elise to a VW Beetle because thy are both small 4 cylinder cars. Nothing alike. Not even the same ballpark.

On another note I did see two young men with wife beaters on, riding together on one CBR250. Seriously. My wife and son pointed out he two guys on a bike together and I noted it was a cbr250.

I highly agree. I never would have thought I'd go back to a lower than 600cc motorcycle but after seeing the GROM I sort of knew that this would be one of those cool small CC motorcycles. Kind of like how I view the Ruckus scooter.

I have no shame rocking around in the GROM. Where as in a CBR250R I will always feel like I couldn't afford/not enough balls to get the CBR600RR.

jthspace 06-24-2013 08:56 AM

Do "student" or "learner" motorcyclists in the US get restricted as to power / engine size? In the UK, a "learner" (basically) gets restricted to 33 bhp so either a de-tuned bigger bike or a 125/250 under 33bhp.

There are other rules (motorcycling is getting restrictive thanks to UK/Euro laws discouraging motorcycling).

Jeff