Which is better for beginners? CBR250 or Grom - Honda Grom Forum
 5Likes

post #1 of 61 Old 06-20-2013, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Grom Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Default Which is better for beginners? CBR250 or Grom

The CBR250 is obviously a full sized bike, which the Grom isn't. But I often read the CBR250 is great a learner's bike. How does the Grom compare to it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 Old 06-20-2013, 06:08 PM
HBK
Grom Member

I see the grom as just a fun bike to mess around with, not something I would daily ride like I would with the CBR250. If I was just starting out and needed something to commute to and from work...CBR250 would be it. Plus I don't like the idea of the Grom topping out at 65MPH. I rather be able to ride at 65MPH and past that without worrying im topping my bike out
post #3 of 61 Old 06-21-2013, 02:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBK View Post
I see the grom as just a fun bike to mess around with, not something I would daily ride like I would with the CBR250. If I was just starting out and needed something to commute to and from work...CBR250 would be it. Plus I don't like the idea of the Grom topping out at 65MPH. I rather be able to ride at 65MPH and past that without worrying im topping my bike out
Have to agree with that, sensible analysis.

What are you looking for, commuting, fun? How many miles do you anticipate riding?

I had a Honda 250 Dream waaaaay back, it was a great bike.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 61 Old 06-21-2013, 05:47 AM
Super Moderator

I still think if the Grom as a cool mini bike toy. It would be easy to learn on, but it's a little toy for me!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
supermoto likes this.

Current Bikes:
2014 Honda Grom (picked up 9/11/14)
- Composimo Tidy Tail, Thai OEM Honda projector headlight, H4 bulb, Thai turn signals, and MSX125 decals, H2C rear luggage rack, 14 tooth front, all blacked out.
Honda mini-bikes go here. (Z50, XR50 & XR70, CRF50s from 1972 - 2007)

Past Bikes:
A bunch of CBR900RRs and more
post #5 of 61 Old 06-21-2013, 02:54 PM
Senior Grom Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I still think if the Grom as a cool mini bike toy. It would be easy to learn on, but it's a little toy for me!

That's the best way to describe the Grom. It's a toy. The CBR is a full bike.
post #6 of 61 Old 06-22-2013, 09:55 PM
Senior Grom Member

I agree with HBK.

Different bikes. The 250 could be a proper commuter. The GROM might have its limitations.

post #7 of 61 Old 06-23-2013, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

The 250 is a beginners/learners bike. The average guy would be kinda embarrassed to ride one. I couldn't park my cbr900 and ride a cbr250. The grom is awesome! It's a gangsta little super moto mini bike. To me there is NO comparison.
That's like comparing a Lotus Elise to a VW Beetle because thy are both small 4 cylinder cars. Nothing alike. Not even the same ballpark.

On another note I did see two young men with wife beaters on, riding together on one CBR250. Seriously. My wife and son pointed out he two guys on a bike together and I noted it was a cbr250.

zombie likes this.

Current Bikes:
2014 Honda Grom (picked up 9/11/14)
- Composimo Tidy Tail, Thai OEM Honda projector headlight, H4 bulb, Thai turn signals, and MSX125 decals, H2C rear luggage rack, 14 tooth front, all blacked out.
Honda mini-bikes go here. (Z50, XR50 & XR70, CRF50s from 1972 - 2007)

Past Bikes:
A bunch of CBR900RRs and more
post #8 of 61 Old 06-23-2013, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Grom Member

Ideally I'd like to get the Grom as a fun bike to play around with and a full size bike for commuter/distance riding/speed. But I think the Grom would keep my attention longer than getting a 250cc bike, which I can see myself easily getting tired of or outgrowing. Grom first it is. A full bike like the CBR600RR after.
post #9 of 61 Old 06-23-2013, 11:19 PM
Senior Grom Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The 250 is a beginners/learners bike. The average guy would be kinda embarrassed to ride one. I couldn't park my cbr900 and ride a cbr250. The grom is awesome! It's a gangsta little super moto mini bike. To me there is NO comparison.
That's like comparing a Lotus Elise to a VW Beetle because thy are both small 4 cylinder cars. Nothing alike. Not even the same ballpark.

On another note I did see two young men with wife beaters on, riding together on one CBR250. Seriously. My wife and son pointed out he two guys on a bike together and I noted it was a cbr250.

I highly agree. I never would have thought I'd go back to a lower than 600cc motorcycle but after seeing the GROM I sort of knew that this would be one of those cool small CC motorcycles. Kind of like how I view the Ruckus scooter.

I have no shame rocking around in the GROM. Where as in a CBR250R I will always feel like I couldn't afford/not enough balls to get the CBR600RR.

GregW likes this.
post #10 of 61 Old 06-24-2013, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Do "student" or "learner" motorcyclists in the US get restricted as to power / engine size? In the UK, a "learner" (basically) gets restricted to 33 bhp so either a de-tuned bigger bike or a 125/250 under 33bhp.

There are other rules (motorcycling is getting restrictive thanks to UK/Euro laws discouraging motorcycling).

Jeff

User Tag List