Greetings from RI - Honda Grom Forum

post #1 of 1 Old 06-22-2019, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Default Greetings from RI

So I never really checked in to these bikes before today but my curiosity has been breached. I figured no better place to get some answers than a forum for the bikes.

I am short and have to customize everything. I have an 05 ex500 that's been slammed and messed with to the point of silly that I have sitting because I find it heavy and honestly ugly. My favorite 2 wheeled toy is my 89 ysr50 which is still street legal but stupid small and extra hard to see. It needs some work to get running again after a 6 year sit but nothing a carb won't fix.

I went to a dealership today to look at some ysr50 basketcases that I found online, one of which had a 110 or so motor swap and saw a grom staring at me the second I walked in. I didn't leave with anything because I was a bit torn and don't see any of these running out the door (the ysr's are all non running and the groms are easy to get).

So here's the deal, I'm 4'10, 100 lbs so seat height and bike weight are challenges for me. The ysr is perfect. The Grom is a bit tall but that is fixable whether someone makes a part or I need to grab something.

My question is performance? I can do 70 all day on my ysr, but it being a modded air cooled 2 stroke, it gets loud. I already seized the engine once while riding (not fun) and rebuilt it, so next time it gets expensive. From what I've read I'd be down a gear and with my size probably in the same speed range (probably with a few mods but again my ysr is not stock). So any smaller riders have any comments? I also heard someone at the dealership saying they were built and geared towards being trick bikes, any truth to that? I don't particularly need a wheelie machine, not do I need to go 100, but I live near a good amount of 45 mph roads where 60 is more the reality.

As for me personally, I have too many toys, lots of cars and the 2 bikes mentioned. The most current project car is a 50 Thames with a 4 speed lenco and a mechanically injected 350. I was a certified aerospace welder, now I build robots. I play bass in a cheesy cover band. Basically I have more hobbies than there is time so obviously a new bike is the solution 🤣
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List