Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Guys & Gals,
We need to talk...
I think most of you have figured out that I bought the Grom to make speed parts to sell. That said, I decided to see what it could do, in it's stock form. South East Wisconsin is hilly. I road to work this morning, West Bend to Kohler, which is 34 miles, and no freeways. I road to Fond Du Lac for work issues, which is about 62 miles, if you don't use the freeway. Then I road home 32 miles, for a total of 128 miles. THE SEAT SUCKS, OR LET ME SAY IT ANOTHER WAY, THE SEAT SUCKS. I could do 300 miles on my Ninja1000 and feel worn out, but not this sore. OK, I got that off my chest, now where is the monkey butt cream???

Here's what I think...
If you are riding around town, whatever, the bike is great, a lot of fun.
If you are going to go out on any longer trips, need 55 at a usable rpm, not pegged, it needs a 136cc kit.
If you ride in an area like Wisconsin, with hills, and 55 mph back roads & 65 mph 4 lanes, you need a 160cc/170cc big bore kit & head/cam work to make it perform, where it's fun & safe.

So, I'm putting one of my spare cylinders on the mill tonight, and by tomorrow I should know what the big bore cylinder sleeve should look like. Wiseco is in for the piston, pin & rings.
If anyone needs me, I'll be in a hot bath!
Brian S

·
Registered
33 Posts
Good read... Brian

I too am interested with your findings and look forward to seeing what products you release.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
in for a quality bore kit.

may your butt rest in piece.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I plan on sending my seat off to get customized by one of the Ruckus sites. I currently take my mountain bike out for 2-3hour rides, and I can see this seat hurting as much as that seat does.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Tell me about it I went riding over the weekend, total miles was bout 200. 30 minutes in and my ass went to sleep I kept having to get up to let my arse rest. Then I rested one cheek at a time. I'm looking to replace my seat with a different gel. There are ktis you can buy.

this is the one I am looking at.

Large Do-It-Yourself Raw Gel Seat Pads

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm not sure that I will ride the Grom for that long of a period of time that I would get that sore, but it's good to have the heads up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hard seat?

Wussies.
I won't tell you how tough my old butt is; you wouldn't understand. OK, OK, I'll tell you.
Rode a Super 90 110 miles each way to see my girlfriend in college. Rode a 1961 CA77 (305 Dream) over 200 miles one-way to go camping. Rode a 1967 CB450 Black Bomber (and that was a shaker!) from Chicago to as far north as the roads go, and then 50 miles beyond, in Ontario. Rode a Harley flat-track racer (yes, I did!) XR-750 all over Colorado. (OK, that was like sitting on a shaking 2x4 with a folded Kleenex on it. I'll admit that.)
Rode a 1969 BMW R-69US through every state west of the Mississippi from Chi-town, into Alberta and B.C., and as far southeast as Pensacola, some days 300 miles in the rain, and it was a naked bike, too. Did 883 miles one day, but I wasn't looking for a personal best; I was just trying to get home.
Now, I'm usually on a '76 GS750 or a '96 RF900R with a Corbin. But I'm old, ya know.
Like I said: wussies. Just go ride, and enjoy it. I'll wave.

·
Registered
14 Posts
+1 for spencers seat mods, ive never heard a bad review.

-1 on inserting a gel pad, they never work for me. i put a blue gel medical grade pad into my zx10r seat. made it worse

·
Registered
995 Posts
seeing how a good amount of people will use the grom as a commuter, changing the seat to a much more comfortable one will be a common mod to do. i guess for $4000 we really can't expect that much, at least everything else is right.

·
Registered
16 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Wussies.
I won't tell you how tough my old butt is; you wouldn't understand. OK, OK, I'll tell you.
Rode a Super 90 110 miles each way to see my girlfriend in college. Rode a 1961 CA77 (305 Dream) over 200 miles one-way to go camping. Rode a 1967 CB450 Black Bomber (and that was a shaker!) from Chicago to as far north as the roads go, and then 50 miles beyond, in Ontario. Rode a Harley flat-track racer (yes, I did!) XR-750 all over Colorado. (OK, that was like sitting on a shaking 2x4 with a folded Kleenex on it. I'll admit that.)
Rode a 1969 BMW R-69US through every state west of the Mississippi from Chi-town, into Alberta and B.C., and as far southeast as Pensacola, some days 300 miles in the rain, and it was a naked bike, too. Did 883 miles one day, but I wasn't looking for a personal best; I was just trying to get home.
Now, I'm usually on a '76 GS750 or a '96 RF900R with a Corbin. But I'm old, ya know.
Like I said: wussies. Just go ride, and enjoy it. I'll wave.
Ahh, a kindred spirit... I've done just shy of 1,200 miles in a day on an SV650S with stock suspension and seat. That was fun. Otherwise I'm good for about 550-700 a day on my Concours14, or apparently 125-150 on the Grom.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts