Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I know that my future grom's bottom end and tranny wont blow up with either the 180 or 200cc cylinder and piston upgrades. I'm sure Honda warranty will voided if any engine modification is done. Will the after market cylinder maker cover me if it does blow up?

Has anyone installed one of these kits yet on their Grom?

Thanks

C

·
Registered
998 Posts
Want to go fast get a 2011-12 Honda 250 or a Kawi 250 2011-12, remove the stock tires and install the Grom tires to fit and away you go plus you'll have a couple more gears.

The GROM was built for mileage. If I want to go fast I go home and get my Hayabusa, the big brother GROM

my thoughts.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I don't think either 180 or 200 is gonna break anything unless you are thrashing on it ie over revving, power wheelies, landing jumps with throttle mashed. The weakest link is probably gonna be the gears followed by the wristpin. Don't miss shifts and put excess shock on the trans and you should be fine. I'm personally going to stick with bolt ons for a year or two and hopefully source an extra motor or fab a bolt in swap. I'm hoping a vtr 250 engine will shoehorn in there :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
And no the aftermarket retailer won't cover you if something breaks other than their parts... Then again they might not even cover their stuff either?

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
The warranty is something that you have to sacrifice when you do these kinds of modifications for speed. If anything goes wrong your pretty much on your own.

Just the price you have to pay.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The warranty is something that you have to sacrifice when you do these kinds of modifications for speed. If anything goes wrong your pretty much on your own.

Just the price you have to pay.
thankfully voiding warranty on the grom wont feel so bad as parts will be cheaper and chances are, a number of DIY's are already online since it has been out as a MSX125 for a while

·
Registered
156 Posts
Man i cant wait for the 200cc kit and all the other yumanashi parts. Found a dealer in the netherlands who got some 150cc kits in stock but they wont ship to thailand. Hope i get my hands on some parts soon.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I would personally wait for a few more bore kits to come out.

The quality of the Yuminashi kit is very low.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Same here. I am not a modifier. I buy a bike that does the job I intend it to do. I also have a race bike..Gixxer 1000 for going fast. The only thing I might do to the Grom is replace the seat. Reminds me of the 50 cc scooters everyone pours money into to get more speed. I wanted more speed too, so I bought a 100 cc. scooter and it was faster than the 80 cc big bores...cheaper too. Still it might be fun to work on the bike and get into the modifications just to learn and accomplish the task, but I would rather just ride. There's enough work just maintaining oem parts that need repair/replacement.

·
Registered
156 Posts
What are some other good brands?

I have spoken to some dealers which offered to create their own for the right price but NONE of them is willing to do anything bigger then 150cc - someone did a 200cc selfmade kit and the engine blew up after 2 months.. again this all the usual dealer talk, so dont put too much weight to it.

·
Registered
995 Posts
What are some other good brands?

I have spoken to some dealers which offered to create their own for the right price but NONE of them is willing to do anything bigger then 150cc - someone did a 200cc selfmade kit and the engine blew up after 2 months.. again this all the usual dealer talk, so dont put too much weight to it.
there's even a 220cc kit, i don't want to know how long it will last LOL

I think these parts will do well in the right hands, but it depends what you want too.

150 seems to be the best option if you want to keep the grom reliable with an extra boost in power.

·
Registered
114 Posts
the 200 kit would be a pain... whole new case. or have your machined, right?

I'm really considering the 150 kit soon, I want to ride on the highway without getting squashed.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts