Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I put all the parts on the Blue grom including the Finbro throttle body since I figure I should start up the bike with what I bought. I did noticed that the BBK video mention something about two copper washers for the spark plug coming with the kit and I only saw one so I took a washer from one of my earlier spark plug so now I have two NGK washer plus the copper washer that was sent with the kit.

I filled up the engine with std oil from Honda and I ran the engine with out the spark plug a couple of turns or more "30 seconds worth and then I let the engine sit for about a minute and ran the engine again with out the spark plug.

I put the spark plug in and started the engine and it had a very ruff idle and than it would try to settle down on idle and rev up to about 2K and the engine would kill over. I did that for a couple of times and the engine started up and ran for about a minute with a lot more noise than when I had the BrianS 170cc BBK in the blue grom.

After the engine died I tried restarting the grom and the engine felt like it had ZERO compression so I removed the spark plug which was wet and put my finger over the spark plug hole and it felt like ZERO compression.

Now I will have to tear down the engine and see where the problem is.

Here is my first thought when putting the Finbro 183 BBK into the engine was dam, the wrist pin area and the piston area where the connection rod connected to the piston felt kind of tight and looks like this area would be the first place I would see a failure. I'm hoping that is not true so a tear down will point me to the correct failure area.

Stay tune.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Found the problem, the cam gear tab broke off causing no cam/valve movement.

Found all broke parts, two items all on cam gear.

EZ fix

Not the wrist pin.

Thank you God.

Back out to put parts back together with my spare cam gear unit from my stock head.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.