Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
took my girlfriend for a spin on the grom around bucks county. I don't think we'll be doing that again. when I get rearsets they will NOT come with passenger pegs.

the grom has pretty much zero suspension with both of us. definitely a must to get a shock and springs if you're going to 2-up at all. it's a bit of a bouncy ride to say the least. actually worse for the passenger (or maybe she just complained more, but no complaints when she was on the 1000). the lack of power is even more evident (top speed in the flat 54 I think, uphill it was just terrible :p). it's really hard to merge into traffic on 45mph speed limit roads.

passenger body English plays a big part. Unlike bigger bikes, where the passenger isn't a huge percentage of the system, on the grom the gf turning her head or not turning her head made quite a bit off a difference.

passenger accomodations: she couldn't get to the seat strap while sitting on the bike. the ride was really bouncy for her

my girlfriend is not huge maybe ~120lbs.
i'm not huge. 170lb without gear

here's a vid from her helmet cam. I never saw the back of my head before :p
I was taking it rather easy because she's a bit skittish about being on the back. Nothing exciting, and the contour slows down all the corners because it's up high and because of the fisheye thing

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVHESN0xxB0]2 up on the Honda Grom - Passenger Point of View - YouTube[/ame]

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great! Full gear and all. Good times indeed :)
almost. she doesn't have boots yet, but it was the sturdiest set of sneakers :mad:

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
lol awesome.

beats trying to 2up in a ruckus.

suspension? whats that? :p

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
336 Posts
I ride 2 up all the time. Definitely needs suspension work, but it still gets the job done. I just have to be a bit more careful, which I usually do anyways with a lady on the back. I also wouldn't mind a couple extra HP for inclines. This is for a 200lb rider and 130lb passenger. If I'm not mistaken, that puts me at the limit, +/- a few pounds, I can't remember.

·
Premium Member
941 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
well the grom is never suited for 2up riding long distances unless you both weigh under 200lbs total.

i go 2up on my grom all day all night, no problems here, yea the suspension with 2up leaves like 20% travel left, and acceleration is subpar from the extra weight, but i understand this and understand the bikes limiting capabilites.

im not expecting it to ride well, because the suspension is still uber shit with just me on it.

2up is fine, as long as you know your riding on a 125cc with less then 10hp, dont expect any more out of it, and dont be disappointed about it either when it doesnt perform to your expectations

and my gf loves the grom, way easier riding position then the r1 or any of my other sportbikes

something about not having to sit on a tiny triangle piece perched up towards the sun and having to adjust her weight everytime we stopped and go.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
and my gf loves the grom, way easier riding position then the r1 or any of my other sportbikes

something about not having to sit on a tiny triangle piece perched up towards the sun and having to adjust her weight everytime we stopped and go.
mine hated the grom and likes the sv1000

·
Registered
336 Posts
As a rider, I think the Grom is easy to ride with a passenger. I have an RC51, which may or may not be more comfortable than an R1 pillion, but it seems to me that having her perched that high, and the riding position I'm in, would force me to be conscious of my riding. She rode on my TT600 just fine but that's not a very aggressive bike (which is, of course, why I upgraded.)

So is anyone else's girlfriend thinking they want their own Grom now?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Here is why it felt weird 2up

"She's a bit skittish about being on the back."

And inexperienced or uneasy passenger on any bike can make for a tough ride, I've logged prob 150miles of seat time at once with my gf on the back (I'm 5'8 170 she's 5'4 110) and other than it not acceling the same it felt safe in turns and even sit up top speed mirrored solo riding, hell Daddysmut was smashing 70mph the other weekend 2up and in a full tuck lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts