Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Saw this on a post on ADVRider.com - Facebook link is a video of it running the 1/4mile.
this guy will build the frame that is needed to put the engine onto a grom for you. Not sure what the price will be for the front frame support and the rear tail radiator mount.

Check around or email the guy if you are interested.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Omfg!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Ok here's the deal, for those of you who are wondering. You'll need around $1,500 for the motor. You can then purchase the kit from him for $500, but it's just the frame kit, you'll have to figure everything else out for yourself. Or, you take him a complete Grom and CRF450X, and $3,000 later, you have a Grom450. If only...

·
Registered
998 Posts
Ok here's the deal, for those of you who are wondering. You'll need around $1,500 for the motor. You can then purchase the kit from him for $500, but it's just the frame kit, you'll have to figure everything else out for yourself. Or, you take him a complete Grom and CRF450X, and $3,000 later, you have a Grom450. If only...
I say in a couple of years "Next year" you'll see a bigger CC engine Grom wanna be". If Honda don't do it Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki will jump in and do it and make a better Grom, I can see Kawasaki taking their 300 cc FI engine and tranny and making a rad Grom Killer machine using the same size tires and dimension as the Honda Grom frame but with better front forks and rear shocks.

Remember Nokia and Motorola had a handle on the cell phone business and laid back and relaxed and Apple came in and bang, Apple is ahead of the game, now bang again and Samsung is biting at Apple heals.

Wake up Honda and smell the roses or else you will be trumped by the other manufacturers.
Go 450 like the Grom member did above and you will leave the competition in the dust.:nerd:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wonder if swapping in a CBR250 engine would be "easier" and still be a fairly good power boost.

I say in a couple of years "Next year" you'll see a bigger CC engine Grom wanna be". If Honda don't do it Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki will jump in and do it and make a better Grom, I can see Kawasaki taking their 300 cc FI engine and tranny and making a rad Grom Killer machine using the same size tires and dimension as the Honda Grom frame but with better front forks and rear shocks.

Remember Nokia and Motorola had a handle on the cell phone business and laid back and relaxed and Apple came in and bang, Apple is ahead of the game, now bang again and Samsung is biting at Apple heals.

Wake up Honda and smell the roses or else you will be trumped by the other manufacturers.
Go 450 like the Grom member did above and you will leave the competition in the dust.:nerd:
I see Yamaha doing it, not Kawasaki or Suzuki. Kawasaki already has a somewhat similar KSR110 (more supermoto styled but similar sized) and no word on bringing it here. Yamaha would add more power (150-175cc would be my guess) and add more aluminum.

If Yamaha and Kawi do something it would likely come down to this, 1. Yamaha by a mile, 2. Grom still squeeks out over the Kawi, 3. Kawi may be cheaper making more appealing to some buyers. I know that's what swayed me to my KLX250SF, leftover pricing and lower msrp saved me $2K+ over the WR250X.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I wonder if swapping in a CBR250 engine would be "easier" and still be a fairly good power boost.

I see Yamaha doing it, not Kawasaki or Suzuki. Kawasaki already has a somewhat similar KSR110 (more supermoto styled but similar sized) and no word on bringing it here. Yamaha would add more power (150-175cc would be my guess) and add more aluminum.

If Yamaha and Kawi do something it would likely come down to this, 1. Yamaha by a mile, 2. Grom still squeeks out over the Kawi, 3. Kawi may be cheaper making more appealing to some buyers. I know that's what swayed me to my KLX250SF, leftover pricing and lower msrp saved me $2K+ over the WR250X.
yep Yamaha had the YSR-50 back in 1987-92, they could build it around that platform but make it bigger in size like the Honda Grom and sneak in a 300cc-450cc engine/FI with 6 speed, better front forks, rear suspension and they would have a winner.:nerd:

·
Registered
336 Posts
I fully expect Yamaha to make a super badass Grom killer in the next 2 years. I can't wait to see it. More power, lighter weight, and maaaaybe more than 4 gears? Oh yeah.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
thats alot of moola.

maybe its just me.. but i'd just get a quicker bike all together!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts