Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Cari finally got a chance to run the Grom with all the simple bolt-on mods.

Yoshimura RS9 Full System

Power Commander 5
Dyno Jet Wideband Commander 2 w/ LVO wired up. (Amazing)
Chimera cold air intake & 14t

72 mph... not bad, with a slight head wind.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lR5r5xOf0s"]www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lR5r5xOf0s[/ame]

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
how did the gps stack up against the stock speedo? or do you have a speedo healer?

·
Registered
998 Posts
Not bad at all

riders weight helped out a lot for speed, BUT I think the PINK GLOVES gave the Grom the added HP, I'm getting me a pair of PINK gloves.

I wonder what the 15/36 sprocket combo will do

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have a 14T in front and a 36T in the back and my stock speedo is way off. Like 10 mph faster than my GPS. I'm also curious about the speedo healer.

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not bad at all

riders weight helped out a lot for speed, BUT I think the PINK GLOVES gave the Grom the added HP, I'm getting me a pair of PINK gloves.

I wonder what the 15/36 sprocket combo will do

LOL... Cari says she will sell you a set.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Joe, I've tried every combo between 14T and 15T for the front and From 34T to 36T out back and found 14T/36T to be the best although top speed does suffer.

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
...I wonder what the 15/36 sprocket combo will do

That's about same gear ratio as doing (14t / 34t )
Which is -1 front and STOCK REAR.

We have a 140 rear.. which is a slightly taller tire then stock.

Taller tire = larger circumference.

Larger Circumference = slower speedo reading then reality.

example Speedo shows 100 vs.. Real True Speed 110

This actually makes the speedo slower then reality. Probably balances out the gearing a little.

Will try and do a GPS test soon, or at least Chase her in the car to confirm accuracy.

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
how did the gps stack up against the stock speedo? or do you have a speedo healer?

We have a 140 rear.. which is a slightly taller tire then stock.

Taller tire = larger circumference.

Larger Circumference = slower speedo reading then reality.

ie.. Speedo shows 100 .. Real True Speed 110

This actually makes the speedo slower then reality. Probably balances out the gearing a little.

Will try and do a GPS test soon, or at least Chase her in the car to confirm accuracy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
That's sweet you got it up to that speed...I'd love to be able to go that fast, but don't have enough $ to pay for the large amount it would cost to get those mods

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. That's our goal with all the videos.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but was this ~72MPH top speed ever verified with GPS or a chase vehicle?

I am looking at doing nearly the exact same setup and I had a couple of additional questions:

1) Was the baffle removed from the Yosh RS9? (Not sure how much of a difference this makes.)

2) Was the RPM limiter configured to be +500RPM (or possibly greater) than OE with the PCV?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

See below

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but was this ~72MPH top speed ever verified with GPS or a chase vehicle? Yes and Yes.

I am looking at doing nearly the exact same setup and I had a couple of additional questions:

1) Was the baffle removed from the Yosh RS9? (Not sure how much of a difference this makes.) Yes

2) Was the RPM limiter configured to be +500RPM (or possibly greater) than OE with the PCV? No.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't want to troll but this 72 MPH is a 116 KPH. I do 116KPH full stock with mine in canada... The only thing I did was the youtube "free grom airbox mod" to have that 116KPH (72MPH)

Do I have a turbo edition or what?

·
Registered
998 Posts
I don't want to troll but this 72 MPH is a 116 KPH. I do 116KPH full stock with mine in canada... The only thing I did was the youtube "free grom airbox mod" to have that 116KPH (72MPH)

Do I have a turbo edition or what?
It depends on your weight, if you were going down hill, or drafting a car/van/truck

I've done 70 mph on my RED grom when it was all stock but I had to tuck down low and I had about 1000 miles break in on my engine. I wt about 220 lbs then and that is with out riding gear.

So I would say you got one really good built engine.

I bought a second grom and I could barely get 60 mph out of it until I had about 1,500 miles on it.

Here is the kicker, my first grom I rode it hard from the start meaning I was hitting 60-65mph when the engine was under 100 mph on the odm. The second grom I babied the break in period and that is the engine that was hard to get pass 60mph.

Now both engines have the BBK and they go like stink and will get to 65mph no problem. Seeing 70-75 now with my mod2 airbox.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It depends on your weight, if you were going down hill, or drafting a car/van/truck

I've done 70 mph on my RED grom when it was all stock but I had to tuck down low and I had about 1000 miles break in on my engine. I wt about 220 lbs then and that is with out riding gear.

So I would say you got one really good built engine.

I bought a second grom and I could barely get 60 mph out of it until I had about 1,500 miles on it.

Here is the kicker, my first grom I rode it hard from the start meaning I was hitting 60-65mph when the engine was under 100 mph on the odm. The second grom I babied the break in period and that is the engine that was hard to get pass 60mph.

Now both engines have the BBK and they go like stink and will get to 65mph no problem. Seeing 70-75 now with my mod2 airbox.
I wasn't following a van or nothing. I weight 180 pounds and i'm 6 feet tall... And of course, I don't measure my top speed going downhill or with wind in my back. What I am wondering is "do I have a magic grom?" It's now 2k Km done.

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wasn't following a van or nothing. I weight 180 pounds and i'm 6 feet tall... And of course, I don't measure my top speed going downhill or with wind in my back. What I am wondering is "do I have a magic grom?" It's now 2k Km done.

If that is TRUE GPS Speed........ then yea. You have a Magic Grom. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts