Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yep finally was able to pull out my broken tranny from my 82 RX-7. Not sure if I should take it apart myself or take it to a expert RX-7 repair guy that is in Santa Clara that fixes most of the Mazda RX-7/RX-8 cars in the valley. This guy wants $500 cash if I bring the tranny to him. I've been to his shop many times and he has all these hot rod RX-7 and RX-8 that he is always working on. The tranny was making a lot of noise which seems to me a problem with the bearings. The tranny shifts ok but the noise is in the tranny some where because if I press the clutch in the noise will sort of go away just a little humming sound and when I let out the clutch the noise comes back even in neutral. I don't think it is the clutch because I replaced the clutch friction plate about 5K miles ago including a new throw out bearing. I also replaced the thruster bearing that the tranny spline shaft mates to the engine. Yes the fly wheel was taken out and re-surfaced and balanced. The noise started happening after trying to teach my daughter to drive a manual shift car and she kept bunny hopping the car when releasing the clutch in first gear, the car would jerk and buck so much when she tried to get the car going in first gear which more than likely put a lot of stress on the tranny. The RX-7 has 77K miles on the ODM so I'm sure the car's tranny has seen a lot of stress since I use to drive it like I stole it.

Yep bought that car new back in xmas of 1981 when I went to Oak Tree Mazda on Steven Creek Blvd and seen the car on the truck carrier when the the deliver guy pulled up with about 8 RX-7 on the trailer and I pointed to the sales person that I wanted that white one. I think I paid like $15K for it since it was a S model and was the low end model with out the air conditioner and electric door locks and windows and all the other luxury stuff.

Second project tomorrow or some time this week is to remove the 4 FI from my Hayabusa and send it out for calibration and cleaning.

out for cleaning and inspection, I figure I should clean it a bit before I take it in for repair

My RX-7 on car ramps

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
that thing probably weighs as much as the grom, no?

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that thing probably weighs as much as the grom, no?
Very light, wish I could put a corvette engine in that thing and change out all the suspension work and rear end and make it a sleeper mobile. In Calif my 1982 does not qualify for NO SMOG check, they use to exempt cars 20-25 yrs or older and now if your car does not pass smog they want you to get rid of it or fix it till it pass.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats one mint RX-7, most i've seen from that generation are rust buckets or just in horrible condition
yep when I bought it in xmas of 1981 this was my first real new car since leaving the Navy and getting a real job in Silicon Valley working for a government contractor doing almost the same job that I did in the Navy.

The car had a bra for the front end rock and dirt deflector and such and the car was washed every Friday evening and the car was always covered with a weather proof car cover when I lived in a apartment in Sunnyvale Calif.

Any dings or small door dings where brought on by people that parked next to me.

Other than that the car is all original, except for the radio and the carpets still looks like new.

Things that I had to replace was the driver side window tracking unit, the air pump, the clutch master cylinder unit, brake pads, master brake cylinder, 3 batteries since I bought this car. The windshield wiper motor " which I should not have to replace since the problem was the wiper arm unit was rusted out causing the motor not to turn and all I had to do was break the rust out of the unit that goes thur the body and the wiper attaches to and spray silicon lube in the joint and move it back and forth until it moved freely. The wind shield cleaner reservoir had to be replace since it cracked.

The car still runs strong and I was told that was one of the best years for RX-7 since the seals for the rotary engine were well made.

I want to buy the new Corvette Stingray, but I was told that a new RX-7 was coming out with about 300-350 hp rotary engine with better fuel mileage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts