Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody comment on how the grom deals with highways? My commute is 35 miles each way at a maximum speed of around 75-80MPH. Currently I'm on a VStrom and it's a great bike but given that I do 70-80 miles per day I'm looking for a more fuel-efficient way. Although I'm willing to sacrifice some performance, I am interested in how current owners feel about it on the highway.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Do you mean that it couldn't handle the speed (engine load)? Or that it would not handle well, given its weight, at that speed? Or both?
It will not go that fast, top speed is about 60 mph. In addition it that it is so low to the ground and has a short wheel base, so I wouldn't want to go much faster than 60 because of stability issues.

It would a better bike to use instead of a scooter. So primarily around town.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply...

I'm surprised at that 60 mph top speed, is that from your experience, the honda site (or somewhere else)?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Interstates are fine at 55 mph. There is a right lane you know. That means anyone can pass. Those secondary roads where people can't pass you...even if the speed limit is 55 or 60 is where you might have trouble...unless there is a wide shoulder or passing lane.
I think the interstate may be the safest place to ride at 55 mph. Plus around cities, the traffic all slows down too. Plus, if you really don't like the interstate, just take the access road that runs right beside it. Me, I been riding interstates at slow speeds for years. Seen tons of accidents. Never been in one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate the advice.. Unfortunately, with traffic what it is in the Bay Area, my commute starts at 5:00 am and there is still a significant delay due to traffic. To further lengthen that with service roads wouldn't work out, but I understand where you're coming from.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I would not take my bike on the interstate. If you need to do that, I would recommend a bigger bike.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Drivers are fast and crazy where I live.

·
Registered
21 Posts
heck, i already do it about once every other week on my Ruckus(40mph) lol
I used to commute every day on my Ruckus! I made it a point of going through neighborhood roads where the cars' greater speed was pointless because of the stop signs. I miss that little scoot (cracked the engine at about 12.5k miles).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts