Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a guy on svrider has decided to undertake an sv650 build from "pay it forward" parts.
so far I sent him a titled frame and some other misc parts. Should be interesting and really awesome if he can actually get it built
FrankenBike Build Project - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums
The idea for a FrankenBike build started in this thread[/URL], this post[/URL], with OfirMX being nominated and accepting to do the build.
The challenge is to build an SV650 completely from spare parts donated by SVR members. We all know SVR folks are the most generous and helpful people on the planet, and with Ofir at the helm, I believe we can pull it off.
This will be like the Pay It Forward thread. Of course Ofir will be a focused recipient here but will be paying shipping, so in no way is this a freebie. Shipping is going to add up. In return, Ofir will share all the gory build details with photos and documentation as the parts arrive and build progresses.
If for any reason the project doesn't complete, all donated parts will go up for grabs in the SVR Pay It Forward thread.
Donators will gain by contributing to a fun project, bask in good karma, and have a chance to clear unused stuff from our over-stuffed garages.
Gen1 build vs gen2 will be determined by first suitable frame donation.

If you have any SV parts you'd like to contribute, please post'em up and let the build begin!

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's awesome. Why not put the bike up for sale and donate proceeds to a charity? There's gotta be somethin out there that relates to us bikers!
that is also a killer idea.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So today I got a personal delivery ;D
MikeyB dropped by to bring me a few presents.

And after that, the mailman brought more stuff too!

So:
Seat, like-new air filter and snorkel from MikeyB
Rearsets, seat latch and upper triple by Carpaltomo
Swing arm axle by eBay ;)

THANK YOU GUYS!!!
coming along :)

Reactions: Cadimanjd

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
sweet. it'll be interesting to see if he'll get it done.

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
Sounds like a fun project.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
he scored a bunch of filthy parts for almost nothing at a junk yard
Ok, so MikeyB not only donated good items for the build but he also donated lots of his time looking through the local junk yards searching for parts. And thanks to him I was able to get all this for only $300:

- Motor
- Front wheel with rotors and calipers
- Rear wheel with rotors and calipers
- Brackets to mount/align the rear wheel
- Straight forks without springs and without the upper cap
- Front fender
- Lower triple and stem
- Kickstand
- Rear mud guard
- A bunch of gonna-need nuts and bolts

Although very dirty, everything seems to be in good shape. Thanks Mikey! ;D
Well, after a frenetic Clean'n'Degunk attack, this is the current status of the bike:

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image.
Report this image

And I hope I can make this guy work:

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image.
Report this image

P.S. Alas, these forks are slightly bent, but I'll have to live with that until I can get a better set.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WOW! And it only took six short months to build a bike that drives itself down the block? Totally impressed!
it took 6 months to acquire necessary parts ;) takes like 2 days to put one together

·
Registered
256 Posts
Wonder how much he ended up spending on it. Since one of the posts mentioned scoring stuff at the junkyard for $300

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
his total (between shipping, junkyard parts, and non-donated odds and ends) is a hair over $1600 (which is probably what one of these would have cost anyway).

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1 - 16 of 16 Posts