Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the atmosphere is already 78% nitrogen but all racers run pure nitrogen. What is the advantage to a normal rider and is it worth it in the long run?

·
Registered
327 Posts
The advantage is, someone sells you nitrogen. Unless you're running high pressure, high speed tires. Air is fine.

Reactions: MrMangos

·
Registered
43 Posts
I say that it is a waste of money. I don't think that you will notice any difference. It makes it that much more difficult to refill the tires when you do need to too.

I mean its a Grom, not a superbike.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
nah. not worth the money for me. i get air for FREE :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Nitrogen is great for shocks, not cheap enough yet for my tires. Plus if you ever get low, you can't just grab the air hose and fill.

Nitrogen fill is one of those things like dynabeads or centramatics, spend your money on something that takes the hastle out of you maintaining your bike. Or replaces something that is most of the time done for free, like balancing your tires.

Nitrogen is suppose to respond less to temperature changes i.e, it will cause you to not check your tire pressure that often because why class? The nitrogen is less susceptible to pressure change based on temp, or so the guy tells you thats charging you to fill your tires. Something the guys on Goldwings have done because they can't find anything else to spend their money on.

·
Registered
288 Posts
No all racers do not, actually not many do. I know a bunch, and none that I know do, they run what the vender mounts them with and at or very near the vender suggested pressures.

I know the atmosphere is already 78% nitrogen but all racers run pure nitrogen. What is the advantage to a normal rider and is it worth it in the long run?

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have a supercharged Miata and use it. Nitrogen molecules are larger than the outside air and do not escape as easily over time. For me, that is the benefit I like most. Also when you heat up the rear tires, they are more predictable but only used on my cars so don't know about bikes.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I would do it if you can get access to some. I'll give you a hint "Costco"! They give free top up of nitrogen in tires as long as you are a member.

I have been using nitrogen for a while now even in my car's tires. The pressure doesn't flucuate from the temperature changes. That is one of the huge advantages. I was skeptical at first but monitored and tested.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow Lozonic that is good to know. The last new car I bought came from the dealer with Nitrogen and that is what made me ask about it. They even installed valve caps that say Nitrogen filled.

In the last year I have noted that the pressure has not leaked down any. ZERO. I check the pressure on all the cars every month or so and all the others I have to top off fairly often. But the one with nitrogen has yet to need a single pressure restoration top off. It sounds as if its worth it as log as you don't have to pay too much for the nitrogen.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Interesting thread. I've been wondering about nitrogen myself.

I just purchased tire warmers for my GROM and I usually put the tire warmers on high for 1.5-2 hours before I ride.

I like getting down on the throttle hard coming out of twisties and I need my tires to stick. Will the nitrogen in the tires allow the tires to get warmer or keep the heat in the tires longer?

Will nitrogen help me wheelie better? I was told it's lighter than air, so it makes it easier to pick up wheelies.

Is Nitrogen flammable ? is there a possibility of fire or explosion if I pop a tire coming down hard from high speed wheelie and rocks make sparks?

I just want to play it safe and learn as much as I can before I make the transition.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Interesting thread. I've been wondering about nitrogen myself.

I just purchased tire warmers for my GROM and I usually put the tire warmers on high for 1.5-2 hours before I ride.

I like getting down on the throttle hard coming out of twisties and I need my tires to stick. Will the nitrogen in the tires allow the tires to get warmer or keep the heat in the tires longer?

Will nitrogen help me wheelie better? I was told it's lighter than air, so it makes it easier to pick up wheelies.

Is Nitrogen flammable ? is there a possibility of fire or explosion if I pop a tire coming down hard from high speed wheelie and rocks make sparks?

I just want to play it safe and learn as much as I can before I make the transition.
Nah I doubt that would happen with the nitrogen I use to work in a tire shop seen many flats come in and all with nitrogen. No danger from using it only benefits like others have mentioned. No pressure change or minimal compared to conventional air.

Costco is the key for free nitrogen, Just roll up car or bike and they fill it ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts