Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone!

I just bought my first motorcycle, the Grom, on Saturday and wanted to ask for some suggestions on a battery tender. Since I will be unable to ride the Grom until May and was told to use a tender to prevent ruining my battery. What tenders work with the Grom? I know they have different voltages and amperages, so I wanted to hear from other Grom owners. Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
998 Posts
Hey Everyone!

I just bought my first motorcycle, the Grom, on Saturday and wanted to ask for some suggestions on a battery tender. Since I will be unable to ride the Grom until May and was told to use a tender to prevent ruining my battery. What tenders work with the Grom? I know they have different voltages and amperages, so I wanted to hear from other Grom owners. Thanks a lot!
I have this one and I love it
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-Advanced-Charging-System/dp/B00C7L8WPA]Amazon.com: Battery Tender Plus Advanced Battery Charging System 12v Battery Tender Plus 12v: Everything Else[/ame]

·
Registered
256 Posts
I also have a Battery Tender but I went with this one. I bought it when I had an ATV that lived outside so the waterproof was nice. But even when it's in the garage the unit is nice because it can lay on the floor or wherever it needs to be and i'm not worried about damaging it.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CITKCE/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000CITKCE&linkCode=as2&tag=42green-20]Battery Tender 800 Waterproof 12V Battery Charger[/ame]

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
whatever you get, make sure it has an SAE plug. makes life significantly easier than that crappy plastic connector some come with. then you can swap things with it, and use it to power small electronics

·
Registered
995 Posts
I also have a Battery Tender but I went with this one. I bought it when I had an ATV that lived outside so the waterproof was nice. But even when it's in the garage the unit is nice because it can lay on the floor or wherever it needs to be and i'm not worried about damaging it.

Battery Tender 800 Waterproof 12V Battery Charger
Thats a good brand to go with.

Some have a motorcycle setting, might be best to get that just so you have something specific to your use.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'm a fan of the Battery Minder brand.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Both of you use these with a Grom, right? The guy at the dealership said that each battery requires a certain output in volts and amps for the tender to keep the battery from frying. Those two seem like they would be fine, but I just want to make sure. Thanks for the quick replies!

Battery Tender 800 Waterproof 12V Battery Charger

·
Registered
106 Posts
Battery tender brand tenders will not fry your battery. They are all work on low amps, thats the point of what they do. And they all stop charging when yhe battery is full. If you hook one up to a new battery it will only charge for a few hours than stop until the battery sits long enough to drop to its recharging point. Im sorry, but he was full of crap. Ive used the same tender on my mustang, my wifes cruiser, my wuad and the grom.

In short, a good brand battery tender WILL NOT hurt any battery.... Including your grom battery

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, I can't say I'm surprised since he probably figured he get me to come back and buy one from him. Thanks for the help!

Battery tender brand tenders will not fry your battery. They are all work on low amps, thats the point of what they do. And they all stop charging when yhe battery is full. If you hook one up to a new battery it will only charge for a few hours than stop until the battery sits long enough to drop to its recharging point. Im sorry, but he was full of crap. Ive used the same tender on my mustang, my wifes cruiser, my wuad and the grom.

In short, a good brand battery tender WILL NOT hurt any battery.... Including your grom battery

·
Registered
256 Posts
I use my Battery Tender on my Grom. And like shelby I've used it on a ton of other things as well with no damage. Battery Tenders are more "maintainers" than a charger. When they do charge its a lower rate. Mine at 800 milliamps (.8 amps). Most battery chargers charge at over 5 amps and if they have slow charge setting it's about 2 amps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts