Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1987 YSR-50, I had one new and bought it for $1,350 OTD. It was 2 stroke, and it was a fun to ride. I rode one like this from Sunnyvale Calif to San Francisco via the EL Camino Real because it was not freeway legal.
Manufacturer Yamaha Motor Company
Engine 49.3 cc two-stroke
Transmission 5-speed
Wheelbase 41.4 inches
Weight 165 lbs (dry)
Fuel capacity 2.1 gallons

Honda came out with the NSX-50 but that motorcycle was not street legal in the USA

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTD4O_j4eC4"]Yamaha ysr50 - YouTube[/ame]

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you still have this bike, or has it found a new home?
I sold it to a young person in Sunnyvale Calif for a $1000 when I bought my 1989 GSXR-1100. I had no room at the apartment I was living at to store the YSR-50. I could have left/stored it in my apartment but I did not see the need for three motorcycles.

But I wished I kept the YSR-50 and I was looking for another cherry one until the GROM came out. The GROM is a better motorcycle all the way around. You don't have to mix 2-stroke oil in with your gas. The GROM is less noisy. The GROM can carry two people. The GROM is electric start. Only down side is the 4 speed transmission, not sure why Honda did not go to 5 or 6 speed.

If Kawasaki was smart they would take their 250cc motorcycle that they bummed up to 300cc and use the 250cc to make a GROM killer. All they have to do is get the GROM size tires on the 250 FRAME, readjust the riding height add a FI instead of the carbs and it would kill the GROM sales for the same price plus it would be faster right out of the BOX.

·
Registered
995 Posts
at least the grom is just as legal as any big bike and is more like a real bike unlike this but of course there's a big price difference between the two, i much rather have the grom.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I was just about to say those fiddys are cool to have but not being able to ride on a street is what ruins it for me. The Grom is just the next level of these.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts

my NSR50 and (formerly) my rm125

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Cool looking bike. GROM is still cooler though :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts