Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First mods I'm looking to do on my grom are bigger wheels and tires extended swing arm and obviously chain and sprockets.. Anyone have luck findin bigger wheels online? I feel like it's gonna be harder to find the part than to install

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yup I want the same 14" spokes +3 swingarm with some nice street rubber would be sick. I just haven't had the time with work to do take any measurements. Are these 15mm axles? ill hit them with the Mic tomorrow if no one knows

·
Registered
92 Posts
So you're going to take something that's slow, underpowered and under suspended already and add more rotating mass to the drivetrain which will be harder to get into motion and heavier on the suspension motion.......

Just curious as to why you'd want to do this?

This thing has 12" wheels and plenty of tire options as it is, I can see no benefit from the change and looks wise will be out of place in my opinion.

Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
which would bring me to the next step in the project. a big bore kit! lol anytime a reputable company wants to come out with one, im sure im not the only one thats not so patiently waiting

·
Registered
154 Posts
Exactly ^^^ if you think all I'm gonna do is big wheels you are nuts. I'm a mechanic the last car I built was a 400 hp 90 tbird supercoupe 5 spd pushing 18psi on the factory blower. My plans include bbk, springs and retainers, baisic port match and polish, maybe some undercut valves plus a fox float mxr rear air shock, springs and oil in the forks. Lots of purple haze titanium bits from pro-bolt to hold everything together.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I think the point is some people like to modify their rides "motortcycle, cars, trucks,etc" to their liking or what makes them see as being cool.

No different than a Harley owner who decides to chrome, custom paint their rides or add bigger displacement, louder pipes etc.

Or the Big city driver who wants to put those 30" wheels on their Buick or what ever car.

Or the Hill Billy trucker who wants their truck lifted bigger tires etc.

The reason most people do stuff to their vehicle is to be noticed or because that is what they envision what the look they want and what they can afford.

Basically to impress the chicks.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Ahhhh, so it's a vanity thing, no performance benefits. Cool, I get it; I was wondering the thought process behind the swap.

Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
First mods I'm looking to do on my grom are bigger wheels and tires extended swing arm and obviously chain and sprockets.. Anyone have luck findin bigger wheels online? I feel like it's gonna be harder to find the part than to install
I've already ordered my custom 2-piece wheels from Evan over at FLP. 12x6 rear, 12x4 in the front. It's the biggest you can go without having to remove/modify fenders, or a custom swingarm. Does involve a new front and rear hubs.

As far as extended swing arm. Very expensive! However Composimo has designed something much more affordable. Which I've already ordered a 132 link chain to break it down to the size I need.

So far between wheels and hubs you could be looking at $1500-$1800 depending if you want 1 or 2 piece wheels. This is not including extending and lowering your Grom.

·
Registered
9 Posts
which would bring me to the next step in the project. a big bore kit! lol anytime a reputable company wants to come out with one, im sure im not the only one thats not so patiently waiting
Do you do any research? Or do you prefer not to order from over seas? Cause there is a company that makes a big bore kit all the way up to 210cc. And plenty of parts to make it run as it should. Look up yuminashi.

·
Registered
92 Posts
here is an idea ... buy a bigger bike ;-)
Kinda my thought as well......:) I'm all for mods but there is only so far you can go before you should get something better suited to your needs. It's like saying I bought a brand new Chevy Cruse to run 1/4 mile drags; you can mod it, supercharge it and throw bigger wheels on it but its still a Cruse no matter how hard you try.

Anyway, I'm 6'3" and go 235lbs and have zero problems fitting in the Grom, I'm surprised its as much of an issue for you guys. I'd even say it can be more comfortable than the RR at times.

Can't wait to see these things when you guts are done, maybe I'll change my thoughts.

Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
Kinda my thought as well......:) I'm all for mods but there is only so far you can go before you should get something better suited to your needs. It's like saying I bought a brand new Chevy Cruse to run 1/4 mile drags; you can mod it, supercharge it and throw bigger wheels on it but its still a Cruse no matter how hard you try.

Anyway, I'm 6'3" and go 235lbs and have zero problems fitting in the Grom, I'm surprised its as much of an issue for you guys. I'd even say it can be more comfortable than the RR at times.

Can't wait to see these things when you guts are done, maybe I'll change my thoughts.

Mike
It is way more comfortable than a 600rr, in my opinion.

·
Registered
187 Posts
to me, the Grom is a minature Supermoto. Lots of "normal size" super moto bikes out there available. Or just put street tires on an Enduro, simple as that.

·
Registered
154 Posts
There is some performance gain for us taller folk too. I know I sit at the very rear of the bike a small stretch would balance the weight to the front tire a little more and with the taller wheel slow speed stability would be much better. Look at the cr85 crowd with 17/17 wheels they only have about 1" longer wheelbase and 1" higher seat height and that chit looks awesome

·
Registered
321 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got the ruckhouse rims with flp hubs, great setup with the power pures

1 - 20 of 20 Posts