Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to install the Lipo battery in my Blue Grom, it is a 4S2P 26650 Bat 13.2V 4.6AH. So the way you read these type of batteries is the the 4S means 4 of the batteries are aligned in Series and 2P means 2 4S connected in parallel, more juice/current this way. Each cell produces about 3.2 volts. The batteries are called Lifepo4

Stock Grom battery size in a grom
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 640x426.

Size compare stock to Lifepo4
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 640x426.

installed Lifepo battery, diff in size in the battery holder

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just did a battery charging test and this is after I came back from a birthday party for my friends 9yr old son so the new Lifepo4 battery has 15 miles under it's use.

Lifepo4 battery in tray engine off and ING off

Checking battery voltage with key turned on, lights are on and no starting of engine yet

Engine started and RPM is around 1200rpm

RPM at 7000 plus and Hi-beam on

Looks like Lifepo4 might be one answer for power drain.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First thing is that these batteries do not need to be put on a battery tender, you can leave it in the motorcycle and if you do not have a direct HOT connection to the battery such as a alarm system your bike will start up even after 6 months to a year with out starting or having a battery tender attached to the motorcycle.

Right now I will be the beta tester for these batteries since my friend and I bought 15 of these batteries from a Chinese company and they were cheap in price but the cost of shipping them to the USA went up due to the HAZ waste and material type that had to be handled with care. I think we paid like $40 a battery but it ended up like total cost to the USA from China which included shipping, HAZ-Mate fee, duty fee's, etc being $80 per battery. The batteries were pre-made and pig tail wires and slip on connectors were also included. As you see it in the pic is how my friend and I received it from China.

There is a couple of motorcycle/scooter and battery shops in the USA that are selling these same batteries for $85 ea plus shipping.

Chinese Companies that sell these batteries
Lifepo4 Motorcycle Battery Pack -12v 4.6ah - Buy Lifepo4 Motorcycle Battery,Lifepo4 Motorcycle Battery,Lifepo4 Motorcycle Battery Product on Alibaba.com
Motorcycle starter Battery lifepo4 A123 system ANR26650M1A 12V4.6AH 4S2P_A123RC Battery Pack_A123 RC Battery|High Quality Battery|Wholesale Ebike Battery
12V 4.6Ah A123 26650 4S2P Battery Pack for Motorcycle from OSN Power Tech Limited, China

various type of Lifepo4 batteries and their cost
Lithium Phosphate (LiFePO4) Batteries

Here is some facts about Lifepo4 batteries
Lithium iron phosphate battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaHow to charge Lithium Iron Phosphate lithium ion battery packs including packs with high current and High Capacity.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Maybe you should talk about why you would make a Lithium Iron Phosphate battery instead of buying one. A LiFePO4 like Shorai comes with an excellent reputation, warranty, and service. Many stories demonstrate their willingness to replace batteries; even ones damaged by neglect. Also of interest, what is the weight of your pack?

I ask because I almost picked up the stock replacement Shorai LFX07 but instead got the LFX09 in a group buy. If you wouldn't mind listing how your custom pack stacks up that would be really helpful in demonstrating the value of going the road less traveled!

Shorai stock replacement: LFX07 - $100 retail ($79 discounted price)
102 CCA 7AH 1.01lbs

Shorai upgrade replacement: LFX09 - $115 retail (paid $89)
135 CCA 9AH 1.24lbs

Shorai upgrade replacement: LFX14 - $160 retail (paid $119, for my other bike)
210 CCA 14aH 1.50lbs

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe you should talk about why you would make a Lithium Iron Phosphate battery instead of buying one. A LiFePO4 like Shorai comes with an excellent reputation, warranty, and service. Many stories demonstrate their willingness to replace batteries; even ones damaged by neglect. Also of interest, what is the weight of your pack?

I ask because I almost picked up the stock replacement Shorai LFX07 but instead got the LFX09 in a group buy. If you wouldn't mind listing how your custom pack stacks up that would be really helpful in demonstrating the value of going the road less traveled!

Shorai stock replacement: LFX07 - $100 retail ($79 discounted price)
102 CCA 7AH 1.01lbs

Shorai upgrade replacement: LFX09 - $115 retail (paid $89)
135 CCA 9AH 1.24lbs

Shorai upgrade replacement: LFX14 - $160 retail (paid $119, for my other bike)
210 CCA 14aH 1.50lbs

1.5 lbs

1 - 5 of 5 Posts