Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have the mnnthbx FE kit and everything is wired properly, I have done a lot of wiring in the past on cars so I know what I'm doing in terms of hooking it up.
The kit has been hooked up for months now, but all the sudden, after the winter when I turn the Grom on, the brake light is constantly on, it wont turn off! I have the kit hooked up with male/female adapters so its easy plug and play to test it. So when I unhook the hit from the green&yellow Grom wire the brake light turns off and its just the drl that's on. But if I unhook the same green&yellow wire from the brake lever, the brake light remains on.

My brake lever is a bit bent from my past accident, but it was bent when I hooked everything up before and it all used to work. I checked to make sure the lever was still engaging that rubber switch under the master cylinder and it still is. I have a replacement lever coming in a couple days though also.

any ideas guys?
Thanks!!

EDIT: So I just went and played around with it some more. I unplugged both plugs this time from the lever and now the brake light is off and turns on when I hit the rear brake.

·
Registered
998 Posts
So I have the mnnthbx FE kit and everything is wired properly, I have done a lot of wiring in the past on cars so I know what I'm doing in terms of hooking it up.
The kit has been hooked up for months now, but all the sudden, after the winter when I turn the Grom on, the brake light is constantly on, it wont turn off! I have the kit hooked up with male/female adapters so its easy plug and play to test it. So when I unhook the hit from the green&yellow Grom wire the brake light turns off and its just the drl that's on. But if I unhook the same green&yellow wire from the brake lever, the brake light remains on.

My brake lever is a bit bent from my past accident, but it was bent when I hooked everything up before and it all used to work. I checked to make sure the lever was still engaging that rubber switch under the master cylinder and it still is. I have a replacement lever coming in a couple days though also.

any ideas guys?
Thanks!!
Check your foot brake switch might be sticking, disconnect the both the brake lever switch and the foot lever brake switch and check the rear brake light and if it is on than you have a short to ground and if not first connect the foot brake lever switch and check the brake light and if it is off hit the foot lever to activate the rear brake light and if it is working properly connect the hand lever brake switch and see if the light is on and if it is than there is a problem with the switch or wiring in that part of the circuit.

Good luck

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check your foot brake switch might be sticking, disconnect the both the brake lever switch and the foot lever brake switch and check the rear brake light and if it is on than you have a short to ground and if not first connect the foot brake lever switch and check the brake light and if it is off hit the foot lever to activate the rear brake light and if it is working properly connect the hand lever brake switch and see if the light is on and if it is than there is a problem with the switch or wiring in that part of the circuit.

Good luck
where is the foot lever switch?

also, could the light be on if there is low fluid in the master cylinder? when my handle bent back it cause the whole bracker tilt forward so the master cylinder is on an angle. I just have to loosen it an twist it back I suppose. Just wondering though. Thanks for the reply

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
front sensor is a little box with a button bolted to the brake master. the lever pushes the button when you apply braking
with the front, you should hear an audible click when you pull the lever (the button being pushed in)

I *think*(don't have my bike next to me and never messed with that part) the rear sensor is connected via spring to the brake pedal.
with the rear, yank the plunger on the sensor up and down

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I just went and played around with it some more. I unplugged both plugs this time from the lever and now the brake light is off and turns on when I hit the rear brake. What do I have to do to fix the issue in the brake lever/ what do I have to replace?

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
So I just went and played around with it some more. I unplugged both plugs this time from the lever and now the brake light is off and turns on when I hit the rear brake. What do I have to do to fix the issue in the brake lever/ what do I have to replace?
look at where the lever and switch interact. you may have a bent lever, or a broken switch. i'm betting on lever. pull the lever off completely, plug the thing in, and push the button with your finger. results should make it obvious if the switch is working correctly.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
look at where the lever and switch interact. you may have a bent lever, or a broken switch. i'm betting on lever. pull the lever off completely, plug the thing in, and push the button with your finger. results should make it obvious if the switch is working correctly.
the lever is REALLY bent lol, I noted that in the original post. But it seemed to be clicking the button normally. I'll take the lever off and let you know. Thanks for the quick replies, I appreciate you helping me get to the bottom of this.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did what you said, took the handle off and tested the switch with my finger and it works, looks like the problem is just in the handle.
I put the handle back on and tightened it, as it seemed to be a little loose before, and now everything works again. Still expecting my new non-bent handle in the next day or two.
Thanks for all the help!

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
right on :) happy gromming!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts