Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
I wouldn't... even on my tundra. or at least i'd shorten the mount as much as possible for the handlebars to clear. That's a lot of weight on a long lever.

yes it's easier than a trailer or a pickup, but it just looks precarious

·
Registered
187 Posts
That's a nice carrier, I like how the front wheel locks in.
I just bought a homemade on last night, for my XR80.
Guy was selling it on Craigslist because he didn't use it anymore. He did a good job. It's seems pretty sturdy. Grass Gas Bicycle frame Soil Metal

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
187 Posts
I don't think the rail is wide enough for a Grom tire though.
I am interested to see if it also fits on my 94 Wrangler with the spare tire on the back (May be another tie down / safety point)

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
4 Posts
Your carrier setup looks good. I can't really see the right side though - kinda looks like the rear of the bike is at the very end of the carrier - Mmm. Anyway, I've used a similar carrier for my Yamaha XT 225, which is about 240 lbs (Grom is about 225 lbs). It worked well on a Toyota pickup and a Toyota Highlander, but it was really a bit too heavy for my Toyota RAV4. I took a 350 mile round trip with the RAV4 though I probably shouldn't have. As long as the weight and size is reasonable those carriers are a great solution. I like 'em.

Oh, one thing I always do when strapping down to a carrier or trailer is that I use 4 straps on the handlebars (2 on left side and 2 on right side) and 2 straps on the rear. It takes an extra 5 minutes to put on the extra pair of straps, but it's the best and cheapest insurance you'll ever buy.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Did you make yours or find somewhere to buy it? I think that is a lot of weight to put on your vehicle unless you have a heavy duty truck or something. I will likely drive my Grom home from the dealership when I buy it, and get a friend to drive my car home. how could I wait any longer to ride the Grom once I actually own it!?

·
Registered
233 Posts
It shouldn't be an issue if you have everything mounted and strapped down properly. But I would feel safer if it was in the back of a truck bed.

·
Registered
160 Posts
we dont know what failed but the bikes fell we dont know if it was the straps or the carrier but thank goodness we were on surface streets when it happened. They were loaded propperly

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
first of all I know its a old thread but I thought I would add some info that might help someone out in the future ..

last week I towed my Grom from Salt Lake Utah city to Anaheim Ca (650miles) on the back of my 2007 civic now let me say this .. I did have to do some modifications to make my car able to take that much tongue weight .. I called draw tite and asked for some advise .. they said to weld the hitch to the frame rails of the car and it would make it stronger .. ok.. done .. but the motorcycle carrier I bought (harbor frieght) flexed a little too much for my liking so I shortened it for less flex..

It did take some time getting it to sit properly in the carrier but I did get it done, once all strapped down I drove the car about 2 blocks and re torqued the straps and again a few miles away I did the same thing .. my car runs on CNG so I get gas about every 180 miles so at each stop i check it .. it made it no problems here is a pic of it before i tied up the strap pigtales but at least you get the idea ..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts