Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I can ever get one of these bad boys, how soon after riding it for the first time would I need to change the oil (given that it is a brand new bike)?:confused:

P.S.- how do you change the oil on one of these? ( new to motorcycles.. eek!).

·
Registered
128 Posts
The manual calls for 600 miles, 2500, 5000 etc. Many people especially if they do a hard break-in especially since there is no spin-on filter are opting to change it much sooner than 600 miles...some at 20 miles. A quart of Rotella T6 is like $5, so I will change mine soon...about 50 miles, then again at about 200 mi. I also do a hard break-in. You should get a service manual from Helm. They cost $45 including postage. The oil bolt takes a 17 mm socket wrench, 18 ft. lbs of torque and is located under the crankcase about the lowest part of the bike except for the exhaust as you would expect. Everything is easy to get to on the Grom...spark plug, valves, oil bolt. You still need the manual to get torque values, changing the air filter, learning how to clean the oil spinner, adjust valves, etc. Try it. It's fun. If all you are going to do is change oil, then you don't need a manual.

·
Registered
995 Posts
a number of people seem to be changing their oil really early.... at the 25-50 mile mark. it's a good thing to do to help get rid of the metal shavings much faster.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Changed mine at 50 miles. Be sure you pull the correct drain plug..... there are 2 "possibles" on the bottom of the engine.... one a spring and other goodies will pop out - thats not the right one!

I figure Ill change the oil every 500 miles or so on the Grom. As was mentioned, it costs but a few bucks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you guys for providing me such detailed responses, I greatly appreciate it! I love the design of these bikes, they seem like they are very easy to work on, and with all things it's healthy to learn by doing and get my hands a little dirty learning the ins and outs of the bike instead of paying a bunch of money for someone else to do it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Changed mine at 50 miles. Be sure you pull the correct drain plug..... there are 2 "possibles" on the bottom of the engine.... one a spring and other goodies will pop out - thats not the right one!

I figure Ill change the oil every 500 miles or so on the Grom. As was mentioned, it costs but a few bucks.

If you had a little bored time would you maybe snap a quick picture of the correct drain plug so that I don't "pop out all the goodies" haha

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you had a little bored time would you maybe snap a quick picture of the correct drain plug so that I don't "pop out all the goodies" haha
+1

I may not have my service manual before oil change time comes around..

·
Registered
327 Posts
I did my first change at 50 miles. I'll do the next one at 150, then go to 500 mile intervals. My quart of Castrol 10w30 was $7.97 and 5 minutes of my time.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
SikMoto you should do a DIY engine oil change for us.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts