Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While bigger, more expensive motorcycles come with ABS, the smaller engined bikes still generally lack them. Recently, Continental, best known for their tires, revealed plans to offer cheap ABS for small bikes.

Their product is compact with not much weight to it, around 420 grams. This system has Africa and Asia in mind both regions that use huge amounts of small displacement bikes.

The ABS from Continental will provide up to 75 percent more braking power, and in certain situations, this will prove to be a life saver. No word yet on if we’ll be seeing this on stateside bikes but I cant see it being ignored.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Yea more info is needed.

No way that is all that is needed to retrofit ABS. Plus I'd be interested to see how much it would cost..

·
Registered
128 Posts
I think all bikes starting in 2015 are going to be required to have abs. I read that anyway. Never had a bike with abs. A slipper clutch is nice on a big bike though or really any bike for aggressive downshifting to keep from skipping wheels if you downshift from say 40 mph and let out the clutch in 1st gear which would probably be an accident thinking you were going from 4th to 3rd. From everything I've read, abs really helps on wet roads. Since this is a tricks bike, locking up the brakes is part of the fun, along with stoppies which you probably couldn't do with abs unless you can turn it off. It adds $500 in cost and 6 lbs or so on most bikes which is the downside.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I think all bikes starting in 2015 are going to be required to have abs. I read that anyway. Never had a bike with abs. A slipper clutch is nice on a big bike though or really any bike for aggressive downshifting to keep from skipping wheels if you downshift from say 40 mph and let out the clutch in 1st gear which would probably be an accident thinking you were going from 4th to 3rd. From everything I've read, abs really helps on wet roads. Since this is a tricks bike, locking up the brakes is part of the fun, along with stoppies which you probably couldn't do with abs unless you can turn it off. It adds $500 in cost and 6 lbs or so on most bikes which is the downside.
Sure its adds $500 but you also have an increase in safety.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Definitely need the option to turn it off, well the back wheel at least. I can't think of a single situation where I want to slide the front wheel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts