Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as we all know, stunting on the bike is incredibly easy. Was doing some wheelies with my friend and fellow Grom owner today in a Chicago alley. I got a little too comfortable with popping that front wheel higher and higher, and I ended up flipping the bike going 12ish mph. I didn't get hurt at all, actually ended up on two feet while the bike escaped my grip.
Good news is the Grom took the fall like a champ, relatively minimal damage for what happen. The rear tail lamp shattered and the tip of the exhaust scraped. But the worst of the damage was actually in front when it flipped. When it landed the handle bars bent in quite a bit, more so on the right side and on the right side where it bent the most it hit the tank causing just a minor scuff. What I'm the most upset about though is that the screen got smashed, which I'm sure will be the most expensive to replace. The gas gauge still works though lol.
Everything other than the screen that was damaged I planned to replace anyway (ie: exhaust, handlebars, tail lamp) and I was going to wrap the bike soon too so the scuff on the tank is nothing. The bike still runs perfectly and I rode it for like another hour after the incident.
Anyone know what my best bet is for getting a new screen?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, you won't be finding low mileage used gauges on eBay yet so you're only three options are:

1) Replace it with an OEM new gauge
2) Replace with a Trailtech Vapor
3) Replace with a Koso gauge.. probably the DB-02 (not DB-02R)
Do you know how much new gauges are? OEM ones?

·
Registered
327 Posts
I think you can switch between kph and mph.

Reactions: 69z50

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I don't think I'm going to even bother replacing it this season. Just gonna pick up some new Rizoma handlebars and keep stunting till it gets cold out. I may build a cage for it too lol.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Ah shucks!

Everything is relatively cheap to replace and upgradable but the screen is a bitch. let us know what you end up doing. Now that just makes me thingk for all you stunt guys let that be a lesson. Maybe invest in something that protects the screen housing like a shroud around it.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
have you asked your dealer if they can get you a new cluster/gauges? I wonder if the dealers have access to parts yet.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1st casuality.
Second. My buddy dumped his on the way home from the dealer when he picked it up. It was pouring outside and the bike slid out from under him. He just wrapped it white though and it looks perfect again lol.

have you asked your dealer if they can get you a new cluster/gauges? I wonder if the dealers have access to parts yet.
Everywhere is closed on Sundays and Mondays. Gonna be calling about the Rizoma handle bars tomorrow. I think I'm going to hold off on the gaugues until winter in case I just drop it again.
Anyone know what that piece/module is called with the red switch? I want to replace it.
Here are more pics of the damage:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Anyone know what that piece/module is called with the red switch? I want to replace it.
Switch Assy. Engine Stop

Honda - Switch Assy. Engine Stop - New Honda Genuine Parts

Maybe we need to get some of the vendors/fabricators looking at a cage or bar to protect the guage cluster? I was testing out popping the clutch to get the front up this weekend and now I'm even a little more spooked about playing around until I get some protection on some pieces.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Switch Assy. Engine Stop

Honda - Switch Assy. Engine Stop - New Honda Genuine Parts

Maybe we need to get some of the vendors/fabricators looking at a cage or bar to protect the guage cluster? I was testing out popping the clutch to get the front up this weekend and now I'm even a little more spooked about playing around until I get some protection on some pieces.
Do you know if there are compatible aftermarket switches? It would be cool do have a different looking one if possible since I'm replacing the handebars to the gold rizomas.
The easiest way to do it is roll at about 4-8mph in first. Then quickly rev to 8-9k rpm and pop the clutch. The front will pop up very easily. You dont even need to pop it to the point of hearing that clunk noise from the clutch, just let off fast but controlled.
make sure to stay on the rear brake or you'll end up like me
And yeah a nice looking cage would be dope. Wouldn't even have to be something super bulky since our bikes weigh so little.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts