Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi
I'm planning a trip from Paris to Florence on the Grom... ouch, I can feel my a*** already. The idea is to leasurely cross the French countryside (good small roads and good food) then cross the Alps and then down the Ligurian coast before heading inland to Tuscany.
Looking for pannier-type luggage solution. Any ideas or leads? Top-box a good option even if ugly and out of proportion?
Anybody have long journey experience on a Grom? Any essential maintenance or comfort kit required?

PS. Any aftermarket USB power supply options for the Grom out there? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Wait do you have a GROM?

Picture please :D

If you are going to go traveling I'd get a new seat. Stock one is apparently stiff as heck.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Hi
I'm planning a trip from Paris to Florence on the Grom... ouch, I can feel my a*** already. The idea is to leasurely cross the French countryside (good small roads and good food) then cross the Alps and then down the Ligurian coast before heading inland to Tuscany.
Looking for pannier-type luggage solution. Any ideas or leads? Top-box a good option even if ugly and out of proportion?
Anybody have long journey experience on a Grom? Any essential maintenance or comfort kit required?

PS. Any aftermarket USB power supply options for the Grom out there? Thanks.
try looking for a solar panel power unit that can charge a electronic device such as a smart phone, ipad and such and maybe one that can charge a 12 volt battery system such as for the motorcycle. Wish I was there I would ride the Alps with you never been to Europe, I've been to the Far East Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Philippines.

Good luck on your ride, I heard that the stock tires that come with the Grom/MSX125 are not good for riding in the wet weather, if they are like the tires that I had on my yamaha YSR-50 mc than they suck for rain riding. Check with the UK riders to see what tires they switched to. Ride safe

·
Registered
29 Posts
That would be an epic journey on a Grom! Good luck and you must put together a nice video of the trip if you do it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

try looking for a solar panel power unit that can charge a electronic device such as a smart phone, ipad and such and maybe one that can charge a 12 volt battery system such as for the motorcycle. Wish I was there I would ride the Alps with you never been to Europe, I've been to the Far East Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Philippines.

Good luck on your ride, I heard that the stock tires that come with the Grom/MSX125 are not good for riding in the wet weather, if they are like the tires that I had on my yamaha YSR-50 mc than they suck for rain riding. Check with the UK riders to see what tires they switched to. Ride safe
Thanks for the replies. Solar USB is probably the easiest way to go, should be OK for a summer trip. I was hoping for a wired-in solution...? Thanks also for the tyre warning. Do you really think they are unsafe in the wet?

·
Registered
998 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Solar USB is probably the easiest way to go, should be OK for a summer trip. I was hoping for a wired-in solution...? Thanks also for the tyre warning. Do you really think they are unsafe in the wet?
according to some of the UK riders they had problems with the tire in the wet.

I think it has something to do with the weight of the rider.

I know most of the Thailand riders are lighter in weight than the European riders.

Check the various Grom website and read up on riders who have their MXS125-GROM and see what they say about their motorcycle tires.

Like I said my YSR-50 tires suck in the rain and the stats are that I'm 210 lbs, not fat but bodybuilder size and I ride everyday rain or shine. So we are looking at 1987-94 tires that were on my YSR-50. Tires now days might be made of better thread pattern and rubber compound.

If not, you are going to be our beta tester for the MSX-125-Grom for tire wear, riding high altitude and miles per gal.

I'll be riding mine on Hwy 9 northern Calif and on Hwy 1 from Hwy 9 to Half moon bay going north and if I decide to go south it will be to Santa Cruz beach.

Like I said ride safe, take a gopro or sport cam and document your ride. If you need good batteries for the gopro a company called Wasbi Power has the best prices on batteries and chargers including European AC setup

·
Registered
74 Posts
Alps MSX trip

Funny you should mention the alps on the Grom/MSX. I was just thinking about that the other day. I have been through many of the alp passes on my BMW R1200 GS and absolutely love the Swiss and Italian passes. Timmelsjoch is one of my favorites. In two weeks I am going to check out the Grossglockner in Austria, but I will also be doing an alp tour eventually on my MSX once I get the big bore kit and head installed.

I'm in Germany and have over 1000Km on mine and I would definitely replace the tires before you did such a trip. The stock tires are really bad in the rain. The problem is the compound of rubber is too hard and they don't grip well when it's wet and if you are going around a lot of twisty roads you risk sliding out.

If you are riding a long distance get at least a seat cushion. Air Hawk makes a nice one, just do a Google search. You could also get a sheep skin seat cover, I have heard good things about them.

Seeing as the MSX/Grom has a MAF sensor you shouldn't have much of a problem with the altitude as it will adjust itself for the thinner air. My BMW has absolutely no problem with them.

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
The hills are alive...
...with the sound of Groming...

It's NERF, or nuthin....

·
Registered
136 Posts
How about some pics?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the suggestions.
Next up is fitting a rack at the back and saddle-bags.
Then I need to find a power outlet to install for the iPad; anybody done this on a Grom? Where would you install it?
The bike is back with the dealer today - sometimes I get a regular clicking noise in the front wheel/brake on every rotation. Anybody experience this on a new bike.
Pics will be coming.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alps are getting closer

So, bike is getting ready for the 2500 k round trip. First change of oil tomorrow (800k) but the first service will have to wait till I get back. It looks as if I'll need to clock ± 350 k (220 miles) a day to get from Paris to Florence in 4 days without rushing it. Maybe more if I hang around the Alps for a while. Backside is probably going to be the biggest issue.

Done a couple of longish stints over the last two weekends. Results:
• Cruising speed is unacceptable for fast roads but I knew that. I feel I can take it up to 80kph (50 mph) without pushing too hard but I don't think it would be happy doing more for long periods. Maybe I'm being too cautious. The problem seems to be the high revs but stability seems OK. Maybe reducing the back sprocket by a tooth or two could help. Anybody tried this?
• Suspension is not great on bad roads. I find myself swerving around to avoid bumps and changes in tarmac. On the other hand, if you cant avoid a pothole at speed it will just fly above it!
• The seat is stiff. I'm getting used to it but 90 minutes is all I can take before I need to get off for welcome relief.
• I don't know if its just my bike but the back break is ****. Combined with the front it stops fine but I'd like more for panic situations such as gravel.
• On a more positive note the torque is great. In town and on small back roads its a gas. Been out riding two-up in town which is quite acceptable for a 125.

Accessories:
• Fitted the small luggage rack: seems solid and if you have a stiff bag (I'm using a cabin-size roller-bag!) it holds well with adjustable nylon straps.
• Fitted a cigar lighter unit on the handlebars, connected straight to the battery with a fuse on the + wire. Seems OK. With a mini USB adapter it'll charge my phone, iPad and camera. Cost me about €25 with USB adapter. Its not switched so must remember not to leave something plugged in too long.

Wishlist:
• Looking for an iPad route app. Anybody have any suggestions?
• A descent seat would be good but I've not found anything so far. Maybe a re-foam the the standard seat?
• A 180CC bore would be great to fit over winter but I'm waiting for more experience from other people before I go down that route. Info welcome.

Departure is planned for 10 August.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Trip report

OK, just got back from a 3000K round trip. Bike performed very well although I didn't push it much, rarely above 7k revs. No oil change but I might do that now at 4000k. Noticed a different in perfornce between 95 and 98 unleaded, will go with 98 from now on.
Steep hills in the Alps were slightly embarrassing but I mostly didn't feel the need to go faster. You get used to being overtaken by the big boys on their boxers. 350k a day is a little painful on the butt but doable as long as you take a little walk every couple of hours.
Weather was fine although sometimes too hot in the midday sun.
Some image can be seen here.

·
Registered
34 Posts
congrats, i also did a few rides of more than 2 hours and you really need to walk for a time to recover your ass. you really letf me wondering about the 98 gas, i should try it out

1 - 20 of 28 Posts