Honda Grom Forums banner

DIY vs Dealer/Mechanic?

• Do It Yourself all the way!

Votes: 40 88.9%
  • aint nobody got time for that! dealership or mechanic can take care of it!

Votes: 5 11.1%
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering who here does their own work vs going to a dealer or a shop? :motorcycle4_smilie:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Once a vehicle is out of warranty, I do as much myself as I can. Before that, I prefer the extra expense of the $tealership just to make any warranty issues smooth. It's the way I do it with cars and bikes both.

- John

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do my own whenever possible. The stealership around here charges about 100 for an oil change.
that is one expensive oil change! Considering it doesn't take very long and uses very little oil.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I brought in my 81 GPZ550 for the scheduled valve adjust. Put torque putty on one of the inside valve cover bolts, It was still intact when i picked the bike up. When I asked the service manager why he said it was a mix up and they would get it done right away. I bought a service manual and did my own from then on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I do it myself for most of it. Dealer tried to charge $500+ for oil change, valve check, and check all other things. I got my service manual and do myself.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Depends on the bike. I would do my own maintenance on the Grom, as I have for my other Honda. But I took my Harley to the shop because I don't own the whole complement of Harley tools.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I do all my own maintenance on all of my vehicles whenever possible. The only exception might be checking valve clearances and/or changing the timing belt on my 4-wheeled stuff.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I try to do everything when I can. Some things don't make sense though, like my fairly new RAV4 that included 2 years of free oil changes, tire rotations, etc and since that ran out, they do an oil change/tire rotation for $25, I can't do it for that cheap!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I do it all myself. 98% of it at least. No way to keep ownership affordable any other way

·
Registered
327 Posts
I do what I can, if I get in over my head, I can call for help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I do everything on my bikes because they charge a lot for bike work and bikes are crazy easy to work on. On cars, I let the techs do the jobs I know are a pain in the butt and that they don't charge a lot for, like oil changes, tire rotations, and specific repairs that I know are painful and annoying.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I will do my own maintenance on this bike. I do need a service manual though to do the valve check and clean the centrifugal oil cleaner. What convinced me is all the valve checks (every 2500 miles with the first one at 500 miles) along with how easy it should be to maintain. You have to leave your bike there for it to cool off several hours for a valve check which means an extra trip for me to go to pick it up the next day. As far as doing my own maintenance affecting the warranty, I used to worry about that, but I won't with a Honda. Here's my plan. I will get the manual and do the first valve check at 500 miles as recommended. You could just get a manual and try the first service too. If you have trouble, you could still make that 500-mile apt. with the dealer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just keep your receipts for all the maintenance for warranty reasons. I like to do a lot of maintenance for myself, I feel like it's quality time spent. However, I do plan on shelling out what I need to for the first service as I've been told Honda has voided warranties for people not getting the first break-in service done.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
seems like there are many DIYers here.

I'll be expecting many DIY articles for the GROM :D

1 - 20 of 44 Posts