Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Sweet! Can't wait to see how this build goes. How much do you figure it will cost you to get the end result you want?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sweet! Can't wait to see how this build goes. How much do you figure it will cost you to get the end result you want?
I've spent $11 on a fender, I had a headlight from my old KTM, and I had to buy a couple of miscellaneous parts and some paint. I'd say it should cost... about $1,850 after the resupplying the garage with beer, throwing the necessary party for my wrenching friends to come help, and perhaps an impromptu ER trip after injuring myself with some innocuous object while wrenching/drinking beer.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And also for a reasonable answer....

Dan, I have no specific plans for the suspension (I'm assuming you want to know if I'm raising it some), though I'm not opposed to seeing if I can get a total of 1" front and rear. Any more than that though and I'm afraid I'd be veering too far off course from what the Grom was designed. If I wanted a hardcore mini supermoto I would have bought a CRF or chinese clone and installed a 180cc kit on it. This project is more about modifying the amazing Grom to look the part for the way I ride it. I ride the Grom just like a mini supermoto. Nothing extreme offroad, but just tearing it up wherever I go with some minor offroading. Hence why I chose supermoto styling... it just fits. That's what I think a 1" raise might be appropriate, but any more sounds like too much to me.

GromGuy,
Total cost I would guess at under $100. If you buy a Trailtech X2 headlight for $70, a CRF70 fender for $10-15, and some miscellaneous hardware and paint... You could probably finish this project up under $100. I'll do my best to document everything well enough that others can follow my lead. I chose the CRF70 fender as the size was near perfect for the Grom. Big supermoto fenders are way too large and far more expensive. Any smaller and it would look too small. The only reason we can't bolt a fender onto a stock Grom is because the headlight hangs about 2" too low. Using almost any aftermarket headlight and you should be able to mount a fender. I'm using a KTM 625 SMC headlight because I had one in my garage, so it's pretty much free. If I had an unlimited budget I would get the Trailtech X2. I had one on my old KTM (hence why I have a free KTM headlight) and that thing put out some serious light. I was extremely pleased with it especially given the $70 price brand new.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
Looking good so far.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sergei, I had that same light on my old KTM. The light output was amazing. I almost bought another for the Grom project but I wanted to go a different route so this time I just needed the shroud.

GOOD NEWS! My fender shipped. Some other stuff shipped as well. I should be able to move forward on this project this weekend. Tonight I plan to mock up some brackets and get pictures of that.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's what you see with a headlight and bracket removed but otherwise still stock.

I began making a bracket mockup tonight. I started by mirroring the size/shape of the stock bracket and it's clear it causes the headlight to stick too far out at the bottom yet it fits snug up top. I'll have to trim the lower bracket shape to rotate the headlight more downward. Remember, this is just a plastic housing. The actual headlight will be mounted inside and therefore will be aimed separately.

Here's the view from the riding seat.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Yeah i love the light on the superderpa. A bit odd that it just holds on with rubber bands and zipties though Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Reactions: floppyzebra

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got a little more work done tonight. I trimmed off the lower bar on the KTM headlight so I could install a taller, more square shaped LED lamp. Much like the commercial two row LED headlight we can buy I'm installing an LED light that will have 4 rows of LEDs, but it's quite a bit taller than the opening on the headlight shroud was.

While doing some of this work I've put down a couple of coats of spray paint and wet sanded them for optimum smoothness. Sadly, the stock plastic shroud was NOT perfectly uniform so the wet sanding was necessary to end up with a perfect piece when I'm done.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts