Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I sit here feeling very deaf from yesterday's riding, I figured I'd kick off a discussion on what earplugs everyone uses... A bit self serving so i know what to buy, but still :) do yo the use them? Do you ever wish you did? Does your helmet mask enough noise that you don't need them? Mine obviously doesn't!

I am tempted to buy some more cheap home Depot earplugs, which I've used before.. Anyone have any better ideas on plugs?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
134 Posts
I had a pair for trap shooting/sporting clays that you molded to your ears, they worked great. As far as riding when I had my Harley, yes cause I wore a skull cap. Other than that no, and yes I wish I would have but my full face helmet I have now seems to help. You can get the plugs you mold at BassPro, Cabelas or on Amazon

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've used hearos but my favorites are the etymotic earplugs. You can find them on amazon for $10. They're hard plastic with silicone ear pieces and they'll last darn near forever. Best part, they attenuate loud noises but let speech through. I used to wear them every time I would go touring.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
48 Posts
I only wear earplugs when necessary.
I don't use them on the Grom, not enough wind noise
It very much depends on the helmet you are wearing,
and how a good fit it is.

I have a very expensive Shark evoline3 helmet
It is the noisiest helmet I've ever owned.:mad:

My Arai Freeway openface is far quieter.
I rarely need earplugs,even when riding my Transalp

Dog

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
I don't think it is necessary with the Grom. As long as you wear a proper helmet, the Grom doesn't go fast enough to warrant them. It is best to not wear ear plugs as it takes away a sense that can be important so that you can hear where people, vehicles, and other things are on the road.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I actually questioned a number of guys in thailand about the MSX125 when riding and they were just fine riding without ear plus, some guys ride without helmets and even they didn't find the need to protect their ears.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
I don't think it is necessary with the Grom. As long as you wear a proper helmet, the Grom doesn't go fast enough to warrant them. It is best to not wear ear plugs as it takes away a sense that can be important so that you can hear where people, vehicles, and other things are on the road.
try it. you hear perfectly fine with them. they just cut out the windnoise.

and read this article
http://www.ridermagazine.com/motorcycle-gear-buyers-guides/hearing-protection-for-motorcyclists.htm/

·
Registered
995 Posts
try it. you hear perfectly fine with them. they just cut out the windnoise.

and read this article
Hearing Protection for Motorcyclists | Rider Magazine Buyers Guide
Thanks for sharing that article, just read through it and even the comments below. One guy that left a comment probably gave the best advice ever....

Started wearing foamies after reading an article in Rider about earplugs and hearing loss. I already have age/genetic hearing loss, so I was interested in protecting what I’ve got left.
Overall comfort on my daily freeway commute was immediately
evident. I could still hear everything that was going on around me, and it felt even clearer than without protection.
If your hearing’s still good, I’d strongly recommend using earplugs on a regular basis. If you haven’t used them before, I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised. And it’s a lot cheaper than buying hearing aids!!
Even investing in a cheap pair of foamies will go a long way with preserving your hearing

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
I find it an issue with the vents in the helmet that cause even more of the whistle and wind noise. I even tried close all of them but the wind noise is still there. After trying to wear ear plugs I fell more relieved after getting off. Without them I usually get a slight headache.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
I find it an issue with the vents in the helmet that cause even more of the whistle and wind noise. I even tried close all of them but the wind noise is still there. After trying to wear ear plugs I fell more relieved after getting off. Without them I usually get a slight headache.
yep, my scorpion exo700 whistles like mad with the vizor open. can't hear it with plugs so all is well :)

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
Which earplugs do you have? I'm looking in to getting the custom molds, right now I am just using the cheap yellow marshmallows.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Which earplugs do you have? I'm looking in to getting the custom molds, right now I am just using the cheap yellow marshmallows.
i just use moldex comets (without the cord though)
reusable and work pretty good for me. used them for years for everything (shooting, motorcycles, working at the racetrack, etc.). I get about 20 fulll days of use out of them before i feel the need to replace them, but they could still be good for longer.
Moldex Comets Reusable Ear Plugs (NRR 25) - Reusable Shooting Ear Plugs

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I always wear ear plugs. You would be surprised how little noise it takes to cause permanent hearing damage. And the scary thing about hearing damage is that you don't know that it's happening (unless you experience some insane high sound levels and your ears are bleeding)

The hearing damage from riding happens slowly without notice.

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
i just use moldex comets (without the cord though)
reusable and work pretty good for me. used them for years for everything (shooting, motorcycles, working at the racetrack, etc.). I get about 20 fulll days of use out of them before i feel the need to replace them, but they could still be good for longer.
Moldex Comets Reusable Ear Plugs (NRR 25) - Reusable Shooting Ear Plugs
Thanks for posting the link not too bad for disposables. For the price you can't go wrong, just stock up a bunch and go!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.