Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, there is a controversy about how to break in a new engine. The factory suggested method of keeping the revs at a certain level for so many miles, or the hard method; ride hard and high each gear followed by an immediate oil change?

What's your take? What would you suggest?

========
Sent from my Droid intelliPhone!

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
I am riding mine as if it was run-in, no special method, but I NEVER make the engine struggle by being in the wrong gear. Rev it freely, keep the engine happy!

Jeff

·
Registered
37 Posts
As long as you vary engine speed and keep engine load moderate drive normally, however do not hold the engine at one rpm for an extended time. Change oil, got wtf open everywhere. Break in done.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I ride it like I stole it. Get those rings seated.
have done this and have followed the factory recommendations

wish I had the time and money to buy ten new identical bikes do five each way then tear down at 30k and see if it mad any difference

·
Registered
248 Posts
I would definitely follow Honda's instructions for break-in procedures for our new Grom unless you know more than the Honda engineers who designed it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
The guys at the Honda dealership told me that i didn't have to do anything special.. and if something not normal would happen it was an error from factory! i guess that means that they mean, just go on, have fun.. normally nothing should happen :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yeah I'm curious about the break-in recommendations too. This will be my first bike so I want to treat her right!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ride it like you stole it... and then an early oil change. At least that is the strategy I will be using.

Being it is a Honda engine, it should be pretty much indestructible. ;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Shift through all the gears up and down and modulate the RPMS as much as possible. The worst thing you can do for break in is hold it at one RPM for extended periods of time i.e. hit a major road and just cruise in top gear at 50 mph for hours. Riding the shit out of a motor doesn't help either as you have to consider the first service also includes making sure everything is tightened down correctly along with the valve check and oil change. Remember a break in doesn't just mean how your piston rings seat, it also includes giving all the driven gears, brakes, tires, oil seals, chain and whatever else a chance to "settle".

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've broken in a lot of engines and read a ton on this subject. I also do a hard break-in and change the oil early at about 50 miles, then again at 200 miles. Oil will look dirty with metal flakes in it and it will be dark, if you do a hard break-in, especially dirty at 200 miles. This is especially important to change the oil (I think) since there is no spin on filter. I will go to Rotella T-6 after the 50-mile oil change. What I do is go to redline, then let off the throttle to let it show down going through each gear this way and do each gear about 10 times as I ride away from the dealer. Then I find a nice road where I can do a lot of shifting and change speeds almost constantly. Then while the engine is hot, I change the oil. Who knows though. All I know for sure is the oil sure looks like it needs to be changed EARLY if you do a break-in this way.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I break in his Grom this:
The maximum speed of more than 70 kilometers per hour, the engine revs up to 5500 per minute. without sudden acceleration and twisting throttle grip. Drove 1,000 kilometers and changed oil. and all!

·
Registered
18 Posts
go to a open 4-lane hwy with little traffic. then after the eng. is warmed up accellerate from 20 mph to 60 mph very hard, then let off of the gas (no brakeing) & let the bike de-accellerate to 20 mph. do the several times. then drive normally to let the eng. cool/

ATTENTION the FIRST 20 miles is when the rings are either broke-in properly or not.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts