Honda Grom Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer told me I have 365 days to decide on buying an extended warranty. And it would cost me a total of $450+tax to add an additional 4 years on top of the 4 year warranty.

Seems pretty reasonable for an a total of 5 years of protection, but th

My dealer told me I have 365 days to decide on buying an extended warranty. And it would cost me a total of $450+tax to add an additional 4 years on top of the 4 year warranty.

Seems pretty reasonable for an a total of 5 years of protection, but then again I never bought extended warranties in the past, nor even even had a problem with any motorcycle I have ever owned.. But as I get older the more I think about this kinda stuff..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think it's worth it, that's $450+tax that will cover you for [B][I]4 years. [/I][/B]Now what if something was to go wrong in say....the 2nd year of ownership for example, you would probably be thankful for that extended warranty since it will possi

I think it's worth it, that's $450+tax that will cover you for 4 years. Now what if something was to go wrong in say....the 2nd year of ownership for example, you would probably be thankful for that extended warranty since it will possibly pay for it's self for the servicing needed at the time.

I would get it just to feel a bit better about my Grom 125, although I'm quite confident in Honda motorcycles. I see it as another form as insurance if you get what I mean!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Being a "new" model I really wanted to give it some though. I have never owned a first year model before. That is one thing my father always said.. Never buy a first year, wait until the second year because then they will have all the issues worked

Being a "new" model I really wanted to give it some though. I have never owned a first year model before. That is one thing my father always said.. Never buy a first year, wait until the second year because then they will have all the issues worked out lol..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[QUOTE="cbzdel, post: 73"]Being a "new" model I really wanted to give it some though. I have never owned a first year model before. That is one thing my father always said.. Never buy a first year, wait until the second year because then they will have all

Being a "new" model I really wanted to give it some though. I have never owned a first year model before. That is one thing my father always said.. Never buy a first year, wait until the second year because then they will have all the issues worked out lol..
Exactly! Another reason to get warranty, I heard way too many horror stories about "new" model cars and bikes that would make me want to get this extended warranty.

What exactly is covered under the warranty?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Everything that is not a wear and tear item is covered, is a factory warranty, not an aftermarket one.. the only thing I am unsure of is millage as I ride about 5000+ miles a year..

So if one of these new "light weight rods" broke, they would rebui

Everything that is not a wear and tear item is covered, is a factory warranty, not an aftermarket one.. the only thing I am unsure of is millage as I ride about 5000+ miles a year..

So if one of these new "light weight rods" broke, they would rebuild your engine for free :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
None for me. They dyno test the crap out of these engines in conditions that your average user (even racer) will never encounter. However, the dealer wanted over $500 for it and after I turned him down he came back with $420.00 and tax.

None for me. They dyno test the crap out of these engines in conditions that your average user (even racer) will never encounter. However, the dealer wanted over $500 for it and after I turned him down he came back with $420.00 and tax.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good to know, as with anything there will be the occasional bad one, but that should surface within the one year period i would assume

Good to know, as with anything there will be the occasional bad one, but that should surface within the one year period i would assume

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't keep bikes long enough for extended warranties usually. It would be nice if Kawa had a 2-year vs. a 1-year warranty though. Here's the thing. If you do your own maintenance, you have to be at least a little worried if Kawa is going to honor t

I don't keep bikes long enough for extended warranties usually. It would be nice if Kawa had a 2-year vs. a 1-year warranty though. Here's the thing. If you do your own maintenance, you have to be at least a little worried if Kawa is going to honor the warranty, so instead of a sense of security, the extended warranty can be a source of uneasiness not knowing if you would actually get the warranty work done. You do read horror stories. If you take the bike into the dealer for all service then sure, there's no problem...no problem except expense. LOL That 8,000 mi. valve service is an example. I read somewhere that most 250 owners NEVER have the valves checked/adjusted. The reason for that if true has to be the trouble and expense of getting to the valves. Now if your engine blows at 8500 miles and you didn't have a Honda dealer adjust the valves at 8000 miles, would your new engine be covered? There is some question in my mind, even if you did adjust the valves yourself. Plus maybe you screwed up and made the clearances too small. Since I do my own maintenance starting with the 600 mile service, it just raises too many questions to buy the additional warranty. Kawa and the dealer have too much wiggle room.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
$100 a year is reasonable. It doesn't seem like a hefty cost and will come in useful down the road.

$100 a year is reasonable. It doesn't seem like a hefty cost and will come in useful down the road.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts