Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I hit 98 miles and the fuel meter read "E"... I didn't want to have to push it anywhere so I stopped and filled her up. Ignore the bird poop on the bottom of the picture of the odometer. :rolleyes: Stupid bird.

It took a gallon and there was still gas in the tank. On the next fill up I'll know exactly what I'm doing per gallon. Just as an FYI, I'm pretty much always all on or all off the throttle. 55 is pretty easy to hit now without tucking, even will accelerate on an upward grade. I rode on flat ground at 60 for several miles straight, felt fine! Had to raise the butt up on a few bumps, though.

Today's trip was to the office. I normally work out of the house, sitting in my recliner with my computer hooked up to my giant TV. I had to run to one of the offices to let the LAN run some software, so I figured that if I was going to take a 35 mile (each way) trip, might as well be on the GROM! The truck gets 15 to 17 mpg, so it was pretty easy to decide to take the bike. The truck is faster, I can take the highway. If I could get 10mph more out of this thing I would be okay with highway riding. Speed limit is 65 on the roads I would take to get to the office.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure... seat still sucks. To top that off, I sit right on the strap, so that makes it even more uncomfortable.

I have a buddy with an upholstery shop, but I really don't want to wait for him to make me a custom seat. My bike will be OOC while the pan is at his shop.

Who has good seats out there already?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sweet! I'm anxious to see what mpg you get on subsequent fill-ups and if the bike's performance improves, even if just slightly!

·
Registered
998 Posts
Not sure... seat still sucks. To top that off, I sit right on the strap, so that makes it even more uncomfortable.

I have a buddy with an upholstery shop, but I really don't want to wait for him to make me a custom seat. My bike will be OOC while the pan is at his shop.

Since I live near Hollister I will go to Corbin custom.

When I got my Hayabusa in 1999 they were going to make me a free custom seat if I left my hayabusa with them for a week, No way that was going to happen. They wanted to use my Hayabusa seat as a template and make sure the fit and finish on the hayabusa seat would be perfect for future customers.

·
Registered
48 Posts
To top that off, I sit right on the strap, so that makes it even more uncomfortable.
Very first job I did on mine and my wifes Grom was to take the seat strap off.
Easy to do, just undo the 2 nuts that hold the strap and seat hooks.
Take the strap off and put the hooks back on, re-tighten nuts.
Voilà no strap marks across ya butt...:D

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did 98 and I have the throttle open all the way any time I'm accelerating. And I weigh 260 and 6 feet tall.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Holy crap on a cracker... I must know the fuel economy... that would be a sweet little commuter bike, if I could find some slower roads to use it on.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a pretty new F150 and I only get 15-17 MPG. I drove to the office yesterday and didn't even spend 2 bucks for gas! That's about 30 miles each way. Maybe a little less.

Just need to speed this thing up a little bit so I can put it on the highway and get to work MUCH quicker.

·
Registered
288 Posts

You know the stock seat is only $72 right. You could buy a second one and get it modified by your friend. If you really like it you could then either keep the stock one for resale value or have it redone and sell it to some other member here.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You know the stock seat is only $72 right. You could buy a second one and get it modified by your friend. If you really like it you could then either keep the stock one for resale value or have it redone and sell it to some other member here.
I didn't know that... Got a link?

Thanks!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'd like to see someone ride the grom continuously ~50mph , maybe utilize some hyper-mileage techniques, and see what kind of range/mpg this little bike is REALLY capable of..

·
Registered
995 Posts
95 MPG is amazing, can't wait for someone to break the 100MPG mark! I think that will be easily doable, just a matter of when someone will report it :D

1 - 20 of 57 Posts