Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing the break in where I ride the grom like I always plan on riding it, minus mashing on the brakes. (based on: Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power)
So I did a very early oil change at 25 miles and glad I did. There were quite a few metal shavings mixed in with the oil. I'm no mechanic but it was super easy to change. I just didn't know what size washer to get till after I took the drain bolt off and took it to the store. (It's 1/2 inch aluminum.) There's 2 bolts that looks similar and almost did the wrong one, so be on the lookout for the bolt closest to the exhaust pipe. (pics in the manual)....
Now it didn't show it in the manual and doesn't need to be checked till 7.5k miles, but where is this oil screen located?
The metal shavings didn't surprise me, but I sure wouldn't want to leave them in there till 600 miles. Its cheap and easy to change so may as well do it sooner.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
thanks for posting about your first oil change, i find that doing the first few oil changes much earlier than whats recommended is always a good thing, best to flush those metal shavings out early.

BUT what i've also heard is that some car and bike makers add a special blend oil for the break-in, so changing oil early might also be a bad thing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Metallic shavings has been bad for me in the past... I would be talking with the dealer on the warranty work. There is also an alternative to expensive m/c oil, the use of a good synthetic such as Mobil one WITH OUT the energy conserving star on the back. If it has energy conserving it will ruin a wet clutch. I have Several oil changes from a ninja to a ducati (dry clutch) and no problems...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.