Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just in case anyone gives a half a ___ (probably not), I took the Grom out for a 25 mile ride yesterday. These are the same turns where i feel like I'm *hauling* on the sv and all the prior bikes. They feel too easy on the grom.

It's a very bizzare experience groming around bucks county and I will try to explain why.

Handling: in a parking lot, it turns like a crf. MSF figure 8 can be done in about half the width. Cornering it's awesome, but I discovered that even "twisty" corners can still be done at full speed. Because our roads just aren't that tight. You can throw the bike around very easily. Suspension is better than the crf but a bit softer than the NSR. So are the brakes (probably because the dealer didn't bleed them right, they should be equivalent to the nsr). At full speed, it feels pretty stable. The suspension kinda handles bumps but not that well. Doing the "weave in the lane" is sketchy since the bike is very twitchy. Cornering at full speed is "too easy" but does require competency since "smooth" is needed. The tires suck and I will be getting at least Dunlops for it and if I'm feeling generous bridgestones.

Sound: you don't really hear the bike idling. You don't really hear the bike running. The wind noise is much louder than the bike even at red line.

Speed: there is none (but DUH, what did you think was gonna happen?). There is no throttle modulation. There is no riding it at quarter throttle. There is only FULL THROTTLE EVERYWHERE. With me on it, without tucking it does 55 in the flat, 59 downhill, and 45 uphill (indicated so cut off 5-10% because of speedometer error). Acceleration is glacial. I barely beat a lady in a honda civic off the line. So basically i'm never going to get a speeding ticket on it (maybe in a school zone or something but why would i be speeding there). If you catch up to a car, it will take a very slow car, a very long straight, and everything it has to pass said car (yes I did pass one, it was a bit of a weird experience).

Ergonomics:

I fit on it just fine. No, not like NSR where i have to pretend i'm a tiny kitten. The bars are high (this will change when I put some protapers on since I need them lower), there's plenty of space between the seat and pegs, and they're mid controlls, not rearsets. You want to foot-out everywhere on this bike, and it's actually a bit awkward to knee-down (the bar will fix that, rearsets would fix that better)

Summary:

I have to take this baby out on carting tracks to really see how it stacks up. As far as riding it around, yes it will do it. Yes it will be fun. No, i'm not taking it on a day group ride (that would be retarded even if slow cruiser riders are around, i'd need someone with a tow rope to "get to the ride"). Yes it's kinda noob friendly. Its strength is every other motorcycle's weakness, and its weakness is every other motorcycle strength.

Stay tuned for when i take it to the city on tuesday night. There I have a feeling it's going to SHINE!

·
Registered
998 Posts
Not knowing the weight of the rider we only can assume that some/other Grom owners are either lighter in body weight than the person that posted this or the Grom that the person has is not broken in as far as engine broke in period and we need to wait until 500 miles ODM to see if there is any change in performance after the Honda engine has seen some miles.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I got to agree about the handling in the twisties.
Even a big bloke like me (270lbs) can chuck it about with impunity
The bike gives such confidence.
I can imagine new riders would have a hard time getting into trouble

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yeah my chicken strips are still at about
1/2" but I'm not chicken. I can't wait till I can get the suspension dialed in for my weight(220) bury the handling on this thing is phenom. I actually had to let my friend on his triumph triple catch up on a few sections of road. Now if only we can get these big bore kits sorted out sorry guys not gonna experiment on my only motor. Now if someone cam point me to some extra cases,,,,

·
Registered
197 Posts
Thanks for posting your first impressions, mad8vskillz. Great details! It's nice someone hasa similar class bikes to compare to.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not knowing the weight of the rider we only can assume that some/other Grom owners are either lighter in body weight than the person that posted this or the Grom that the person has is not broken in as far as engine broke in period and we need to wait until 500 miles ODM to see if there is any change in performance after the Honda engine has seen some miles.
Im 170 (add full textile gear boots and helmet)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
995 Posts
Just in case anyone gives a half a ___ (probably not), I took the Grom out for a 25 mile ride yesterday. These are the same turns where i feel like I'm *hauling* on the sv and all the prior bikes. They feel too easy on the grom.

It's a very bizzare experience groming around bucks county and I will try to explain why.

Handling: in a parking lot, it turns like a crf. MSF figure 8 can be done in about half the width. Cornering it's awesome, but I discovered that even "twisty" corners can still be done at full speed. Because our roads just aren't that tight. You can throw the bike around very easily. Suspension is better than the crf but a bit softer than the NSR. So are the brakes (probably because the dealer didn't bleed them right, they should be equivalent to the nsr). At full speed, it feels pretty stable. The suspension kinda handles bumps but not that well. Doing the "weave in the lane" is sketchy since the bike is very twitchy. Cornering at full speed is "too easy" but does require competency since "smooth" is needed. The tires suck and I will be getting at least Dunlops for it and if I'm feeling generous bridgestones.

Sound: you don't really hear the bike idling. You don't really hear the bike running. The wind noise is much louder than the bike even at red line.

Speed: there is none (but DUH, what did you think was gonna happen?). There is no throttle modulation. There is no riding it at quarter throttle. There is only FULL THROTTLE EVERYWHERE. With me on it, without tucking it does 55 in the flat, 59 downhill, and 45 uphill (indicated so cut off 5-10% because of speedometer error). Acceleration is glacial. I barely beat a lady in a honda civic off the line. So basically i'm never going to get a speeding ticket on it (maybe in a school zone or something but why would i be speeding there). If you catch up to a car, it will take a very slow car, a very long straight, and everything it has to pass said car (yes I did pass one, it was a bit of a weird experience).

Ergonomics:

I fit on it just fine. No, not like NSR where i have to pretend i'm a tiny kitten. The bars are high (this will change when I put some protapers on since I need them lower), there's plenty of space between the seat and pegs, and they're mid controlls, not rearsets. You want to foot-out everywhere on this bike, and it's actually a bit awkward to knee-down (the bar will fix that, rearsets would fix that better)

Summary:

I have to take this baby out on carting tracks to really see how it stacks up. As far as riding it around, yes it will do it. Yes it will be fun. No, i'm not taking it on a day group ride (that would be retarded even if slow cruiser riders are around, i'd need someone with a tow rope to "get to the ride"). Yes it's kinda noob friendly. Its strength is every other motorcycle's weakness, and its weakness is every other motorcycle strength.

Stay tuned for when i take it to the city on tuesday night. There I have a feeling it's going to SHINE!
how do you like how you're seated on the grom? at your height, is it comfortable for long distance riding?

·
Registered
128 Posts
A couple of things to consider. The speedo is not off at all. It is in sync with my GPS speed. Speedo is absolutely accurate. Your top speed seems a couple of mph too slow, but maybe it will get a little faster once broken in. On the flat, mine (I have 450 mi on the odometer and did a hard break-in) does 60 mph and 64 with a tuck (stock) which is redline on the bike and as fast as I intend to go. I do run 31 lbs. of pressure in both tires, if that makes a difference, and I am 5'6" and 138 lbs.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
how do you like how you're seated on the grom? at your height, is it comfortable for long distance riding?
i'm 5'10"
comfortable? no, not really. not cramped, but the seat hurts pretty bad even after an hour. Also can't get very low for corners because of the way the bars are. Kind of sit-up-and-beg. This is why i'll be shopping for pro-tapers (or i'll canibalize one of the other minis)

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am 5'6" and 138 lbs.
so at another 30lbs and a lot more surface area, i can see how i'd drop the speed down significantly... weight makes a huge difference for 9hp. Textile gear is also pretty loose, so it adds drag (like a sail)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Great review! My engine and brakes are slowly starting to break in and that does help. Swapping to a 14t front makes a huge difference. The throttle could still just be a button (on/off), but it feels so much livelier.

The riding position is definitely upright which is fine for leg out motard style but it feels completely unnatural for hanging off knee down. Agreed on the bars and rearsets. Let me know what you think when you make any changes. I just have another high bar from my klx143 and that isn't likely to make a big difference.

I have Dunlop 12" TT93s on the mini supermoto as well, but the tire availability doesn't match our Grom sizing. I'm still considering them though and they should drop some rotating mass. What tires do you have in mind that will grip well on the track?

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What tires do you have in mind that will grip well on the track?
on the nsr, i have bridgestone battlax 100/80/12 ycy and 120/80/12 ycy rear. they are more expensive than my sportbike tires (i think 280 for a set).

before that, I ran the dunlop 92/93 and they were great, but the bridgestones are *AWESOME*

as far as bars, in a couple weeks (have some plans for stock grom for the next couple weekends and need my crf intact till oct 19th) i'm gonna throw on the protaper off the crf and see how it feels. rearsets we need to wait till there are more on the market (only one company and stupid expensive)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts