Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering a Grom for commuting. I don't know why, but I am just drawn to this bike. I have a ton of riding experience with track days, a few races and I'm an MSF instructor. My commute is only 9 miles and just want something simple.

Even though my commute is all on city streets, I'll get run over if I can't go over 50 mph.

So, my question is, from real world owners, how fast does the Grom go and how long does it take to get there?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just rode it home from my dealer.. got up to 59 MPH eventually.. she gets to 45 without any trouble.. my biggest concern is visibility and the quietness (too quiet, nobody knows where you're at!

·
Registered
128 Posts
They have eyes, don't they? People don't hear a lot of what's going on around them cause they are on cell phones, have the radio cranked up, talking, etc. Also if you have loud pipes it confuses a lot of elderly drivers, who will likely hear it, but do not know where the sound is coming from and some of them will stop in the road or worse yet, veer over right into your path with a loud pipe. That's pretty much an urban myth if you ask me about loud pipes being safer. Besides, cops love to ticket loud bikes, just because they can.

·
Registered
254 Posts

·
Registered
2,069 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
They have eyes, don't they? People don't hear a lot of what's going on around them cause they are on cell phones, have the radio cranked up, talking, etc. Also if you have loud pipes it confuses a lot of elderly drivers, who will likely hear it, but do not know where the sound is coming from and some of them will stop in the road or worse yet, veer over right into your path with a loud pipe. That's pretty much an urban myth if you ask me about loud pipes being safer. Besides, cops love to ticket loud bikes, just because they can.
I agree with the thought of loud pipes dont always save lives, but in my ZX6RR I've been saved from getting squished because of my loud exhaust and nothing else... usually preoccupied drivers :mad:

If nothing else it will make them at least give the situation additional thought

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
gotta find ways to make it pull the 50 with less effort.

Like said above the videos show that to 45 its fine. And after that it tapers off.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I agree with the thought of loud pipes dont always save lives, but in my ZX6RR I've been saved from getting squished because of my loud exhaust and nothing else... usually preoccupied drivers :mad:

If nothing else it will make them at least give the situation additional thought
If we ever go o zero emission electric cars thy will probably run speakers simulating exhaust notes

1 - 12 of 12 Posts