Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
i was waiting for this topic to surface, everyone keeps going on about the rear shock but few have mentioned the front. which seems more important to me

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
considering noone has their GROM yet the only way to know is ask the MSX owners.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
I have the MSX and no, absolutly not, never, niet, no, non, nein, nada and whatever you consider as the opposite to yes - will I take my forks off just so your curiosity is satisfied.

Curiosity Killed the Cat - it will also do the same to anyone who touches my forks.

:dirtbike_smilie:

Jeff, who is happy with his MSX and the bouncy things on the front that go up and down, just as they are supposed to.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the MSX and no, absolutly not, never, niet, no, non, nein, nada and whatever you consider as the opposite to yes - will I take my forks off just so your curiosity is satisfied.

Curiosity Killed the Cat - it will also do the same to anyone who touches my forks.

Jeff, who is happy with his MSX and the bouncy things on the front that go up and down, just as they are supposed to.
This is going to be one of the most important topics. Suspention is the number one mod. If anyone is thinking about making a pit bike or dual sport this has to be tackled first. I have several calls in to the mini guys here that build bikes for MMSX. Who knows this may be a platform.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts

Hahaha

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree. A big guy like me, with my (complete lack of) mad skillz, on a road coarse, on a stock SV650, was a recipe for disaster: luckily my ABS saved me. Really.

Adjusting front suspension for the rider is extremely important, but most stock forks aren't adjustable as-is.

So, this is, and should be, a top mod.

That said, I totally-get not wanting to make a change that one might not see a need for, but I am waiting patiently for the first successful fork mods.

:motorcyclesmilieK:

·
Registered
15 Posts
No way, I just paid off buying suspension pieces for my Ducatis, ...I have to worry about this now...

Ha ha, not really a worry, but when the mod bug bites, ...it bites hard here. ;)

·
Registered
73 Posts
One of the UK guys sent his forks to a suspension shop and was told there wasn't anything they could do

They're springless forks, no one seems to know a whole lot about them but from the sound of it they're like big gas struts

·
Registered
73 Posts
There's no such thing as a springless fork, outside of a few airforks, which these are not....
I'm not a suspension tech, just relaying info

Fork saga update - K Tech are unable to do anything with the forks, its a cylinder inside not a spring which would be destroyed if opened up, they're just gonna put thicker fork oil in and send them back to the guy who removed them off his bike to see what can be done, bummer!

·
Registered
37 Posts
So if these are gas chamber forks, in a way a spring, changing oil will only change the stroke. This will be interesting. Someone is going to step up with a good fix. Many UK msx owner feel the forks are so soft under compression, a sharp bump or breaking, as to be less than confidence inspiring. The fork design is why I want to see a service manual so badly.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
I assure you, it will have a spring. For sure. No doubt. It looks like there's confusion here because it's "real" suspension and has other components besides just a spring in a tube.

Touching on suspension in just generic terms, springs do one primary thing. They set a bike for your body weight. Setting sag verifies you have the correct spring rate, and has large impact on the chassis, as it alters rake, trail, etc. Beyond that, tuning lies elsewhere.

Valving, oil weight, oil height, and clicker adjustment control the actual suspension action. Changes here allow you to tailor the feel from plush to harsh, fast to slow, etc...

Unlike a Ruckus, where anyone can stick a spring in a tube, cartridge forks require some knowhow, and can seem intimidating. Once I tear into them, I'll make sure to do a "how to" video.

·
Registered
73 Posts
So basically Ktech didn't care to find a solution so they told the fork owner there wasn't a spring and couldn't be taken apart?

Can't wait to see you tear into these and show that suspension company how its done :banger:

1 - 20 of 67 Posts