Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I've owned 3 Yamaha R6's in the past, with the last one being stolen a couple years ago. As others have said, you need to be able to go fast etc on the bigger bikes to really have fun, while this little guy should be more fun for getting around town. I've been in enough trouble in the past on the R6's, so this smaller size should help. I also didn't feel like getting into payments again and stumbled upon the Grom a couple weeks ago when I was looking into scooters for something cheap with good gas mileage. Just couldn't pull the trigger on the scoot and glad I didn't. Love that the Grom looks and should feel like a cycle. I've ridden many motorbikes in Asia and that smaller size is great for just getting around town etc. My dealer here in Reno isn't taking deposits since he said they don't have a VIN number yet. I'm on a list to be called, but I think I'll try and get back in there and insist on a deposit. Although I initially only wanted black, the red has grown on me and would be happy with either at this point. I have plans to move to Hawaii in the next year and figured the Grom would be perfect for exploring the beaches there.
Nice to meet ya'll. I've been trolling the last couple weeks and figured I'd sign up. :) Lots of great info on here already.

·
Registered
192 Posts
welcome

getting your bike stolen sucks, I have a feeling the Grom's will be victim to that. they are much lighter than your typical sport bike and will be out in the masses so the need for parts will just skyrocket eventually leading to a high number in thefts.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, with their small size I was a bit more concerned about that. When I didn't have a garage in Florida, I used to lock the bike to my truck or trees with one of the thick kryponite chains. That, with an alarm. May have to start doing the same for this little guy. It's a whole lot easier to lift the 200lbs.

·
Registered
998 Posts
The Grom will be a high thief item I believe, so the best bet is to have a good chain/cable comb that can be put around a pole, big tree trunk etc.

More locks slows down the thief

Hawaii is one of the worst places for thief esp small items such as scooters, surfboards, Honda cars, motorcycles, and such

etch your name and drivers lic number on your under side of your grom

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
Those damn blood suckers. All thieves should be run over when they steal our bikes. Good way to think when getting small bike to get you out of trouble but i have to say you can get in trouble just as easily i think. when your front wheel leaves the ground that should be enough to get you in some serious trouble.

Lucky you, i love hawaii the grom would be perfect for stop and go especially on the beaches.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

You should fit right in just fine. There are quite a few guys in here with r1 and r6s. I come from a SS as well and find that its not a good city bike. The grom on the other hand makes up on the low speed areas.

Just make sure you get some protection for the grom from those thieves!

·
Registered
175 Posts
sorry to hear about your loss. what goes around comes around they will get theirs soon.

you might want to make sure you keep a good eye on your grom when you get it. I am sure the jackers would be on the look out for them once they are out.

Welcome! ;)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Yeah, with their small size I was a bit more concerned about that. When I didn't have a garage in Florida, I used to lock the bike to my truck or trees with one of the thick kryponite chains. That, with an alarm. May have to start doing the same for this little guy. It's a whole lot easier to lift the 200lbs.
Since the grom is almost half the size and weight of an R6 maybe you might want to consider bringing it in to your space for the best security. Even with chains and an alarm won;t do much if your asleep. I mean it might be a hassle but hey better to be safe than sorry right.

Welcome

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for warm welcome. :) Yeah, I'll def be keeping it inside when possible. At least now I have a garage to keep it in. I'll be chaining it up when I'm at work tho, least there we have security.
Well, I was anxious and went back to the dealership today. They still didn't want to take a deposit yet, but said that I'm second on the list to call back and that I've had the most interest in it out of anyone. He said not to worry, that one of the first 2 would be mine. Can't freaking wait! :-D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.