Honda Grom Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I emailed Racetech about the availability of GVE for the Ninja 125 and received this response:

[QUOTE]Yes we will be offering a GVE for that bike, The forks are the same diameter as the 250 so it may even be possible that the 125 will use the same

I emailed Racetech about the availability of GVE for the Grom 125 and received this response:

Yes we will be offering a GVE for that bike, The forks are the same diameter as the 250 so it may even be possible that the 125 will use the same GVE, We will need to confirm that first though.
So we can expect that they will either offer a new version of the GVE for the 125, or perhaps we can use the existing model meant for the 250. We should know more over the coming months of course.

What is a Gold Valve Emulator you may ask?
Simply put; Emulators make damping rod forks perform like well-tuned cartridge forks.
I installed a pair in my 04' 250 along with higher rate springs and good oil, and noticed a significant improvement in handling and general ride quality on that bike. I expect that similar results will be had on the 125 so it is definitely on my list of upgrades.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Look at the 125 parts breakdown and it will tell you if the guts of the shocks are still the same... That will tell you if it will fit..

What would a emulator do for a non-racer?? It says that you can expect better handling and better overall quali

Look at the 125 parts breakdown and it will tell you if the guts of the shocks are still the same... That will tell you if it will fit..

What would a emulator do for a non-racer?? It says that you can expect better handling and better overall quality.. How will you get better quality ride and better handling?? Seems like the two do not go together??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, what I seemed to notice when I did the upgrade on my 250 is simply that it 'absorbed' bumps better. Keep in mind I increased the spring rate at the same time which made the forks slightly stiffer, but the GVE seems to do something to the fluid

Well, what I seemed to notice when I did the upgrade on my 250 is simply that it 'absorbed' bumps better. Keep in mind I increased the spring rate at the same time which made the forks slightly stiffer, but the GVE seems to do something to the fluid flow to allow for 'smoother' operation. I think an expert would be better to explain it of course, I am simply relating my 'seat of the pants' experience.

I remember I used to hit bumps with the stock forks and it would really translate to the bike, but after the upgrade I could barely feel the same size bumps. I also remember hitting some massive bumps that I expected to really feel, and it just felt like a normal size bump.

GVE must improve the dampening of the fork so that the operation feels smoother both during bump absorption and during the period where the fork is re-extending. Anyhow, I consider it a mandatory upgrade for my new bike after experiencing the improvement on the 250. I won't do it right away, but sometime next year.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Increasing the spring rate made the ride a bit more stiff, but I would not use the word rough. Because I did both mods at the same time I can't give you scientific data, but I think if you kept the same spring rate and simply put in GVE it would imp

Increasing the spring rate made the ride a bit more stiff, but I would not use the word rough. Because I did both mods at the same time I can't give you scientific data, but I think if you kept the same spring rate and simply put in GVE it would improve dampening, but not make anything rougher. I had to increase spring rate on the 04' 250 because pre 08 250s were notorious for 'nose dive' under braking. Stiffer springs fix that, and the GVE improve dampening. Stock bike seems 'springy' and the changes I made got rid of the 'springyness' and smoothed out the feel.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This seems like a very worthwhile upgrade. How much do they cost?

This seems like a very worthwhile upgrade. How much do they cost?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
never heard of these before. Sounds nifty. Definitely gonna take a look into it.

never heard of these before. Sounds nifty. Definitely gonna take a look into it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.