Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so I've just spent almost a whole week living in my pair of lean angles from http://www.leananglejeans.com. Flew down to Austin TX for the motogp race, and since I was going to have a loaner bike (f'ing awesome duc 916) and needed to bring gear, I figured the easiest way of doing that would be to just wear lean angles so that I wouldn't need to bring separate riding pants.
Just wanted to share a couple of thoughts on the jeans and tell the story of going through the body scan thing at the airport in them.
Pros:
-comfortable: the inner liner is silky smooth and very comfortable. it does not get oppressively hot or chafe.

-Velcro in the knees for armor positioning: puts the knee puck exactly where you want it

-stretchy: the small latex content in the fabric gives them the stretchy feel and they feel nice on the outside as well as the inside
-stealth fit: you can't really see the knee pucks except under certain conditions. I wear a size up generally, so that they live a little looser, so the pucks do distort the jeans a bit

-attention to detail: everything is exactly as expected on an expensive pair of jeans, no loose threads or missed stitched.

-comfortable on the bike: armor ends up sitting exactly where it should, no chafing, a bit stretchy so that you can move around

-good temperature: granted it was only 85 in Austin, but I did not feel like I was dying of heat in them, despite wearing them all day. If only my jacket had acted the same....

the only two complaints I had (and both were minor, and really only complaints because I needed SOMETHING to dislike)
-heavy: well of course they're gonna be. there's jeans, pads, Kevlar, etc. weight is somewhere around 5lbs (not so accurate scale) and you never really feel it when wearing them.
-Velcro strip poked me in the leg. by "buckling" the Velcro slightly differently, this was easily fixed.

Going through the airport security though... amusing. Something "dinged" on the full body scanner. Probably the odd "mass" of pads around the hips or something. So I explained the jeans to the TSA guy (who was thoroughly impressed). then explained them to his buddy (and heard the "I ride a Harley and it broke down" bit). then explained them to some guy they called from like 4 booths over because he rides. They all were thoroughly impressed and wanted to know more :) not an actual hassle at all, just a bunch of bike guys seeing a new shiny.
everyone who saw these (03tx-sv, orangeblood, other friends, random people) were thoroughly impressed and couldn't tell they were motorcycle jeans. so that part definitely works as advertised.
I'm NOT crashtesting them hopefully, but if I do, I will let everyone know how they hold up

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I've tried a few of the others, and all of them were down on features and protection. So I bit the bullet and rather than keep buying mediocre gear over and over, sprung for a set that will last me a while.

my dad has always been saying that "we don't make enough money to buy cheap crap" and I've finally come to the same conclusion. rather than buy 3 pairs of crap gloves that wear out in a season for ~70 a pair, I bought a set of knoxes and still going strong 3 years later. same with my Spartan suit and sidis. got tired of cycling through cheapie cyclegear sedici boots every 3 months

·
Premium Member
941 Posts

Nice write up. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
minor update:
went to revzilla today to check out other options.
alpinestars:
"dad jeans" because they have the stitching on the knee, and the elastic band. basically same money as lean angles.
revit:
weird cut. they are simultaneously too big and too small lol. size 34 I could fit both my hands inside the waistband, but they were crushing my calves. skinnyjeans...
dainese:
this was the biggest surprise. despite being a generally awesome gear manufacturer, their one version doesn't come with armor. the other version comes with chintzy knee armor in non adjustable pockets which snag on your foot going in and out. patches of Kevlar in some places. not impressed
rokers:
omfg these things are nice. look good, the awesome d3o armor (comfortable and breathable and pliable unless you hit it with something). bought a ce2 back pad out of the stuff for my Spartan jacket. waterproof (or another version not) BUT a lot more money.
so, unless I'm willing to spend like 500 on jeans, lean angles are where it's at.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
random update

disclaimer: stunts performed by professional moron. you should not try this at home. then again, if you have a racetrack at home, i'm coming over...

so a while ago, i wrote up a review of Lean Angle jeans VWVortex.com - got some lean angle jeans. review and cool story bro :))

but protective gear is hard to test without crashing (and i don't like crashing...) so i though of something i could do with them that didn't (necessarily) involve crashing, but would rough them up a bit. I wanted to drag knee in jeans :evil6: I wanted to do a "Not that you should, but you could" sorta thing.
no this isn't *THAT* stupid. they are kevlar and do have forcefield armor.

so this weekend, i took them out on the grom on a gocart track. And confused the hell out of my mini buddies and staff.

touchdown in jeans feels REALLY weird
and results in your pants looking like this afterwards

they did hold up, but i stopped after a few laps because i would like to continue wearing them :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts