Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just picked up my grom today! I live over here in Japan and I have just been waiting on the yen rate to climb before I pulled the trigger. It finally has crept above 100y=1USD so I pulled the trigger. Only put about 30km on it so far, but I plan to go crazy in the morning and work off some of these break-in miles.

A little history, I have been riding 2 wheels for around 10 years now, first bike was a CBR600RR (haha) I almost killed myself the first day on it trying to hang with a group of experienced riders on Laurales Grade (across the street from Laguna Seca Raceway) in Monterey, CA. I survived and got myself to a track but after several crashes and 1 good injury from trying to be the fastest person ever to ride, I decided to hang that crap up and just ride for fun.

The Grom is perfect! it's peppy but not stupid fast (if it was I would just do it all the time and kill myself) The seat sucks, and my throttle seems a little jumpy on decel, but other than that I am happy.

After a quick look at the forum, I guess I should be glad I didn't have to pay more for the Asian market headlight setup (gives the bike a more expensive look).

I'm just gonna ride, and customize a bit here and there to make it my own and with that I'll be in and out of the forum for tips and picture browsing. Take it easy and hit me up if you are ever in Okinawa!

Here's my and my son today, and of course my wife who looks thrilled by all of this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congrats! How much in $US did the total cost of bike cost? (including all taxes, fees, etc)
I paid 315,000 yen for it out the door 2 days ago. Yen rate was 100.40 to 1 dollar I think, so USD, call it 3,100 dollars for the bike + tax + title + license plate/registration and hoken ( it's a mandatory insurance that you have to buy 5 years worth in Japan on anything below 250cc.)

Congrats and welcome to the forum!!!
Thanks, can't wait to get a few parts here and there and have some fun with this.

Also, maybe I wasn't supposed to but I pretty much did a top speed run on the way home and it showed 102km/h on the speedo which is over 62MPH. I was fully tucked like a cartoon on this thing. not tucked it would hit 92-94 on a flat.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Hey guys, just picked up my grom today! I live over here in Japan and I have just been waiting on the yen rate to climb before I pulled the trigger. It finally has crept above 100y=1USD so I pulled the trigger. Only put about 30km on it so far, but I plan to go crazy in the morning and work off some of these break-in miles.

A little history, I have been riding 2 wheels for around 10 years now, first bike was a CBR600RR (haha) I almost killed myself the first day on it trying to hang with a group of experienced riders on Laurales Grade (across the street from Laguna Seca Raceway) in Monterey, CA. I survived and got myself to a track but after several crashes and 1 good injury from trying to be the fastest person ever to ride, I decided to hang that crap up and just ride for fun.

The Grom is perfect! it's peppy but not stupid fast (if it was I would just do it all the time and kill myself) The seat sucks, and my throttle seems a little jumpy on decel, but other than that I am happy.

After a quick look at the forum, I guess I should be glad I didn't have to pay more for the Asian market headlight setup (gives the bike a more expensive look).

I'm just gonna ride, and customize a bit here and there to make it my own and with that I'll be in and out of the forum for tips and picture browsing. Take it easy and hit me up if you are ever in Okinawa!

Here's my and my son today, and of course my wife who looks thrilled by all of this.

Need to get the little guy a helmet!

·
Registered
998 Posts
Yep ride safe in Japan, change those stock tires to something better for wet/rain riding such as Michelin Pure Sports. By now you know the seat really sucks so get a good custom seat.

I lived in Kamakura Japan for a month working at the Navy ship yard installing the new Cruise Missile system electronics/computer system on some of the Navy ships. I use to catch the train on the weekends to visit all the tourist places. My hotel was close to the old Japanese Navy ship and Karate school. I was surprise to see Beer dispensers at the train station sort of like soda dispensers at our train stops.

The only thing I did not get use to was driving on the wrong side of the road.

Hey Congrats and ride safe.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Too bad its going to get too cold to ride soon. Or is it nice weather in the part of Japan where you live most of the year?

·
Registered
995 Posts
welcome to the forum!

what is the grom scene like in Japan?
Have you been able to hook up with other Grom/MSX125 owners as yet?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Too bad its going to get too cold to ride soon. Or is it nice weather in the part of Japan where you live most of the year?
It is currently about as cold as it gets where I live which is about 45-50F at night and high 60s and low 70s in the day. I ride to work in the mornings with a sweater under my jacket. It is chilly but I know if will be comfy at lunch and leaving work.

welcome to the forum!

what is the grom scene like in Japan?
Have you been able to hook up with other Grom/MSX125 owners as yet?
Well the first place I went after buying it had a Grom in the service bay with pretty much every single part changed out or modified. A couple of my friends want to pick one up, but I still have yet to see one pull up next to me at a light. The problem is that there are 100 different models of bike below 250cc from every company. People are spoiled for choice and since the Grom is so new here just like America, it hasn't really caught on yet.

Maybe the biggest drawback for Japanese is that you cannot take the Grom on the Toll Road. The sign at the toll road entry says "125cc and above ONLY" and on my title the Grom is 124cc, haha. I have a pink license plate, so I think the cops will know even if I try.

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
Congrats & welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. I want to ask, does anyone else find that every single screw seems to be loctite or frozen in place on their Grom? I tried to remove a fairing and it was like removing a bank vault door!! Is this common on other Groms on the forum??

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thanks. I want to ask, does anyone else find that every single screw seems to be loctite or frozen in place on their Grom? I tried to remove a fairing and it was like removing a bank vault door!! Is this common on other Groms on the forum??
Not really, mine feels like any other Honda I've owned as far as tightness and/or frozen screws go. Not sure what you are using for tools but I've had zero issues doing anything to mine.

Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts