Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has already been posted ! There has to be something behind the name GROM - so what is it ? Anyone know !

Oh crap - I put Grim in the title instead of GROM - yes, I'm iphone challenged ! Sorry about that ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
2014 Honda Grom why that name, what it means? | Honda cars and motorcycles

Good question. This got me interested, so I did a little research on the internet. I found a lot of feedback that this ugly word. Personally I disagree. Someone who has made a name certainly sent a message known only to him. How I learned it is urban on the US west coast as a term for surfers and skateboarders, and in Europe in some Slavic languages ​​means the Thunder.
Finally, i would like that some of you, leave me a comment and opinion about the meaning of words Grom.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, that's interesting -- you would think it came from somewhere ! My Honda Valkyrie name comes from a dragon - dragon is what a lot of Valkyrie owners call their bikes - me, I just call mine " The Beast " and it certainly is that.

I do like the Grom and think it'd be a fun bike for running around town. I think my wife of 33 years would probably leave if I bought another bike ( nah, she wouldn't do that - she already thinks I'm crazy for owning 2 ) !

I've been on the look out for a big Rukus for a couple of years now, but the Grom would be just as good !

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
There has been a couple pages on one thread for this discussion topic but yeah the first mentioned was it meant thunder. I could have come up with something better seriously. But oh well it;ll have to do for now. I wished they could have inherited the asian name MSX 125 instead.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I figured it was some mythical hobbit creature... as in "The Grom attacked the village and dissolved it with it's acid saliva"
ohhhhh that is a new one haven't heard about that one yet. Better than the one where some one had related it to a special military group in some country.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
there are a couple theories:

in the UK a Grom is a hooligan
in surfer slang, a Grom is a young surfer
in Russian it means thunder.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, this has gotten more interesting. It really doesn't matter. On the same note - I've often wondered how car companies come up with the names they do. Of course, some are very obvious - Mustang and Pinto come to mind with Ford. No doubt they have some serious head doctors employed working on that. As successful has Honda has been for the past zillion years, they didn't just come up with GROM in a 2 second brain fart. I'm sure as it gains in popularity, the name will fit it just right even if we never know where it came from. I can't think of a more fitting name than Valkyrie with my bike. My Triumph - well it's my Triumph - enough said ! I owned a Bonneville 650 back in high school in the late 60's and I loved that bike and swore I'd own another Triumph one day. The great thing about the new ones - they don't leak oil like 99% of the older ones did - but we still loved them !

:hellangel:

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
I can't think of a more fitting name than Valkyrie with my bike. My Triumph - well it's my Triumph - enough said ! I owned a Bonneville 650 back in high school in the late 60's and I loved that bike and swore I'd own another Triumph one day. The great thing about the new ones - they don't leak oil like 99% of the older ones did - but we still loved them !

:hellangel:

triumph rocket 3... is a total phreaking rocket

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
THUNDA! LIGHTNING!

(anyone watch the rundown before?) lol

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Honda Has a Tendency to Name Bikes Funny things...

like Check it. the CMX250 is called the REBEL....

theres absolutely nothing Rebellious about the Rebel other than you have to be a Rebel to to take that bad boy out on the highway

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Honda Has a Tendency to Name Bikes Funny things...

like Check it. the CMX250 is called the REBEL....

theres absolutely nothing Rebellious about the Rebel other than you have to be a Rebel to to take that bad boy out on the highway
if it doesn't have a pile of big numbers or cool letters (Z, R, etc.) then gotta name it something "awesome" so it sells...
(then again, there are bikes with cool names that back up the name with some specs too, Valkyrie, Hammer, Rocket3, Fireblade, etc.)

Reactions: gromdaddy

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been using the word Grom for at least 35 years. I've always known it to be a little rugrat kid surfer who is very good and full of energy, sort of always in the way, but fun to watch.
My name grom111 derives from this, but I can tell you I am no longer good or full of energy. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts