Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much power do you guys think we can get out of bolt on parts?

if you have any ideas, please list a part and how much you expect to gain from it. we all know intake and exhaust, but can anybody else think of anything that would give you a significant gain? other than big bore's.

I've seen honda gx200 motors (kart racing) go from 6.5hp up to 26hp. so its not at all impossible to double the stock horsepower.

·
Registered
9 Posts
A quality fuel management system is key. I've had econo-box cars reflashed with no other modifications and they feel like a different car afterwards.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A quality fuel management system is key. I've had econo-box cars reflashed with no other modifications and they feel like a different car afterwards.

thank you for that jimmy!!! i've never seen one of those in my life hahaha. but i guess if your gonna do a air/fuel controller your only one step away from the bore kit =P

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm thinking more like a power commander... something bolt on/plug in and go. Although for the most part price isn't much different for a 125 single than it is for a 600 super sport... so 3-4 hundred into a $3000 bike is a little steep.

I already have my Yosh full system on order. :D

Oh! And when I meant econo-box... I meant your usual 4 cylinder Civics/Corollas etc. A good reflash really wakens up an everyday driver.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Any of those bolt on mods like exhaust or race filter etc. won't be at it's optimum unless you have a power commander unless you have it tuned. That should be one of the priorities if you plan on doing anymore than an exhaust.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I'll be looking forward to seeing what is capable from this little engine.

Reactions: raylee

·
Registered
134 Posts
If I just do a slip on exhaust, will i have to do the controller as well

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sometimes race pipes do require jetting with carbs but as this has an EFI system im clueless on how it will work. How is the fuel actually delivered?

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
If I just do a slip on exhaust, will i have to do the controller as well
At this moment all the exhaust I have seen for the Grom are full systems. One pipe all the way back. I guess you can run it without a piggyback but for a slight gain or if any at all then maybe it can be a later investment.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would get a Power commander just in case. I plan to run a different air filter along with the aftermarket exhaust. I doubt there will be any huge gains but having the powercommander or whichever controller will guide it running to it's optimum.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Unless Honda has seriously made some mistakes in their programming (or purposely limited the consumer), it should be fine to do an exhaust an intake (high flow filter etc) without any reprogramming. EFI systems take a lot of variables into account and adjust accordingly. Unless you are adding more than 25-30% hp gains, you should be fine. That said, because you're only starting at 10hp or so, that means by the time you hit 13hp there is a good chance you'll need a power commander or similar...as well as possible a larger fuel injector and/or higher pressure regulator and pump. I'm not 100% familiar with Honda's EFI on this motor so I can't say for sure.

I can't imagine that you'd be able to get more than 13-14hp on that motor and still have it be a reliable bike that will take a lot of miles anyway.

·
Registered
176 Posts
With pipe efi will compensate for the change. If you change anything on the intake u will absolutely need a custom tune. Or youll be doing more damage than good

·
Registered
11 Posts
If this bike uses an outside air temperature sensor to choose maps, then you will be able to fool the system into adding fuel by adding a little resistance inline with the sensor (=cooler temp). This is often done on BMW's to fix lean running stalls and surging. Could be worth a try.

·
Registered
336 Posts
In my opinion, bolt-ons are great for cars since they are usually terribly choked down from the factory and you can get big gains. When it comes to bikes, I go no further than a pipe and PC. For this little guy, I don't think I'm going to do anything, unless I do it all. I'm sure the factory exhaust with the baffle removed will be adequate for the stock power level, and then after a bore/head/cam, the supporting mods will definitely be worth the money. Not even trying to bash you guys who want to do a little bit of bolt on work for fun (and to make it more aesthetically appealing.) Maybe you can even change my mind. I'll stay tuned.

·
Registered
25 Posts
With pipe efi will compensate for the change. If you change anything on the intake u will absolutely need a custom tune. Or youll be doing more damage than good
Why do you say that? As long as the EFI system has a MAF or MAP it will be able to compensate for the larger air flow volume. Honestly it doesn't matter if you do intake or exhaust, either way will increase flow through the engine. If it can compensate for one it will do the other.

·
Registered
134 Posts
At this moment all the exhaust I have seen for the Grom are full systems. One pipe all the way back. I guess you can run it without a piggyback but for a slight gain or if any at all then maybe it can be a later investment.
I thought Yoshi was offering a slip on? At least thats what the home page here says. I am not looking to make a race bike out of it, just make it my OWN. Thanks for the replys.

Honda Grom RS-9 Pricing

Part #: 121202H220 Slip-On Carbon Fiber/Carbon Fiber Cap MSRP: $460.00

Part #: 121202H320 Slip-On Aluminum/Carbon Fiber Fiber Cap MSRP: $325.00

Part #: 121200H220 Full System Carbon Fiber/Carbon Fiber Cap MSRP: $530.00

Part #: 121200H320 Full System Aluminum/Carbon Fiber Cap MSRP: $395.00

1 - 20 of 23 Posts