Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sooooo will the Grom evolve or just be a brief model? Maybe Honda has a HyperGrom 250cc or bigger...

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I will take a stab at this... I am guessing it will be a brief model. I don't see this bike being super successful in the States, as Americans have a love for large, high cc bikes.

I own a CBR250. For what it is, it is a nice bike. But Americans view it as a beginner bike that you ride for a while and then get a bigger bike. This is not a fair characterization, as I am not a beginner, and I have owned much larger and faster bikes.

I am thinking the Grom will have limited appeal. This bike will attract the people who used to own a bike with an engine like the Grom has (Honda Cub, Trail90, etc), kids who want a cheap stunt bike, and people who want cheap transportation.

For all the Grom fans... this is not a slam on the Grom from me. The culture in N. America is what it is.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I don't see it being long term, but I don't see it as a brief model though. I think for the first year or two it'll sell quite well, then fade to the back and hang out for a few more years, before it's taken off the lineup.

I doubt Honda will mess with the current design much. Though I really wish they'd put a 5 or 6 speed in it and maaaybe just a tad more bore. Liquid cooling would be sweet. Of course all this would drive the cheap price way up though, and then it would never sell. Oh well. Guess I gotta hot-rod it myself.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I think in certain areas/cities of the US it will catch on, e.g. places with tight traffic and parking, not everyone wants to ride a scooter they want something tougher looking. But overall I see at as a bike that will stick around for several years, hopefully longer. Look at the Ruckus it's still popular.

·
Registered
255 Posts
^ I agree with you on the location being an important factor. As popular as the ruckus is this is still a very different bike with much more capabilities. More fun! It will be around for more than a couple of years I predict.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It'll take sometime to kick in but just think of it this way for each grom that roams around the area will be influencial to that particular area. Bike meets / gatherings you watch. These things will be every where once they are available. The only problem I could only see at the moment is the dealerships not having enough of them in stock.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I am surprised that the Grom isn't at the X games. That would have been the perfect place to show it off. Definitely the right crowd. Honda could have just gone there placed the grom in a high traffic spot locked to the ground no spokes person and it would of advertised for itself.

As for the evolution. I think it will stick around for a while. Anything is possible we may see a super grom or big grom but that would just changed to much in my opinion. Keeping it fun and simple is key with the grom. And when it gets bigger so does the pirce. After that how many people will be in the loop?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Realistically I think the size and type of bike it presents itself to be is drawing the crowd. When people figure out the price that is another thing that trigger more interest. I have been seeing complaints on other threads about how the groms engine displacement should be more. Don't forget it's a small biek that is mean to be geared towards fun, not fast straights. If they ever come out with a bigger grom I still think the original will dominate the market.

No complaints from me about the 125cc ;)

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
depends on the success.

If sales fall off years down I could see them discontinuing it. I think it will be a very popular model in the used market though.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My thoughts were that maybe 2-3 years of tooling to match the market of buyers. Its a great little bike and would be fun as all heck but I think it might be a bit limited to suburbanites with short commutes or motor enthusiasts.

I think they almost had the perfect marketing strategy but they should have had a video of the Grom "infecting" a city... think 2 minutes starting with a single Grom, ending with a whole pack of them on a large avenue....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Small cc bikes out sell the shit out of the high cc bikes where I work. We sell a ton of ruckus's 250's and 300's and very few 600s or 1000s. As far as a big grom goes. They already tried that with the ruckus and it flopped

The grom is here to stay.

·
Registered
259 Posts
maybe it will be more popular in the EU because of the other thoughts on cc's in bikes.. belgium for example, you can ride the grom with your drivers license for the car if you have it for more then 2 years. other then that, EU is all about downsizing engines, feulconsumption etc.. so thats a big + for the msx/grom!

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
maybe it will be more popular in the EU because of the other thoughts on cc's in bikes.. belgium for example, you can ride the grom with your drivers license for the car if you have it for more then 2 years. other then that, EU is all about downsizing engines, feulconsumption etc.. so thats a big + for the msx/grom!
in 'merica its all bout the big displacements :hellangel:

lolz. people need to have an appreciation for motorcycles that aren't 1000cc. you can have twice to fun at 1/4 of the price.

·
Registered
259 Posts
in 'merica its all bout the big displacements :hellangel:

lolz. people need to have an appreciation for motorcycles that aren't 1000cc. you can have twice to fun at 1/4 of the price.
100% correct! now lets convince everyone!:D

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
pretty simple, when we all get ours we just meet up and drive meetings arround town, showing of and being the hooligan?

might that work? idk im not that good in marketing strategy lol
It just might....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts