Honda Grom Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read about this bike and it looks pretty good. I'm pretty new to bikes in general. Probably a stupid question but is this bike fast enough to go on the highway? And is it good to take on long road trips? Or is this something that should stick on the streets?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Code:
I just read about this bike and it looks pretty good. I'm pretty new to bikes in general. Probably a stupid question but is this bike fast enough to go on the highway? And is it good to take on long road trips? Or is this something that should stick on the streets?
The long trip depends on experience and on your comfort zone. Personally I've ridden a Honda Ruckus from Houston to Austin and back. I took a 49cc scooter that topped out at 40 something on a 150 mile trip. It took me 4 hours to complete where it would have taken 2 ish in a car and 1 ish on my litre bike. Many people would consider this to be crazy but I loved the trip. You can also google for the guy who rode his ruckus from coast to coast.

As for hwy riding you have to take into account the average speed of traffic. With little traffic most cars tend to cruise at 70 mph. Are you comfortable with having cars pass you at this speed? What if you need to do the passing? tailgater? Personally I am ok with this. I plan on taking the grom on the highway. I also like to push things to their limits.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
There are more comfortable ways to go long distance. And the GROM isn't exactly fast enough to keep up with highway traffic. So I wouldn't suggest it as a regular thing.

In a pinch you could get on the highway but I wouldn't do it for a long period of time all the time.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Not only is the allegedly top speed slow- you also have to consider how long it will take you to get to 60mph.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The numbers are hard to find on acceleration, but judging from other people's reports on this forum 0-60 is roughly the same or better than what I get in my Honda Civic.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't think it's healthy for the engine to be hitting the rev limiter just so you can maintain 60 MPH for a long trip...

I would stick to city streets and back road jaunts.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I would stick to the backroads, not fun to have 18 wheelers and kids in Fast and Furious cars passing you all day.
those fast and furious kids are a piss off, putting everyone on the road in danger especially guys like us on bikes.

backroads are most enjoyable, just you and the road and the odd few randoms that pass by.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the bike has to be 175cc's or larger to ride on the highway (In California) anyways. That's how it used to be and as far as I know, still is. I used to ride my DR-350 on the freeway for an 8 miles stretch back/forth to work and it was ok but I don't think the small thrumpers are made for constant freeway travel....

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
agreed. it would work in a pinch but it is not meant to be relied on as a source of freeway travel.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the bike has to be 175cc's or larger to ride on the highway (In California) anyways. That's how it used to be and as far as I know, still is. I used to ride my DR-350 on the freeway for an 8 miles stretch back/forth to work and it was ok but I don't think the small thrumpers are made for constant freeway travel....
California is 150cc for most freeways; most will have signs on the on-ramp prohibiting motor-driven-cycles

·
Registered
36 Posts
WA state says you need at least 150cc to go on the freeway. It sounds like a terrible idea anyways. You'd get run down out there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you change sprockets you may be able to stay at speed but it will kill the acceleration, The Grom is more of a run around town scoot.

Dauntae

·
Registered
21 Posts
It's your comfort level. I've ridden tiny bikes long distances, and I don't mind sounding like a lawn mower about to explode and not being able to jet above the speed limit. However, keep in mind that if you are a heavy dude or dudette or if you have to go up any hills or inclines on the freeway (mountains or foothills) you are going to be in the slow lane pissing people off.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts