Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm assuming not only gas should be really cheap but insurance too? I can't find the grom for any online quotes, has anyone gotten any insurance for it? how much was it comparatively to what your paying for other bikes?

·
Registered
134 Posts
was quoted $300 a year full coverage by AAA

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah but how much is that comparative to what your quoted for other bikes? Because I pay a lot more for insurance in Canada ($4400/yr for a ninja 500 with no tickets and nearly 2 years experience..) so that means nothing to me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah but how much is that comparative to what your quoted for other bikes? Because I pay a lot more for insurance in Canada ($4400/yr for a ninja 500 with no tickets and nearly 2 years experience..) so that means nothing to me.
Comparatively speaking I have found the Grom is actually expensive to insure.. My 2007 Hayabusa was $650 a year for full coverage vs a quote on the Grom from same company same coverage was $270.. When u think the busa was 4x the cost, 1174cc more bike and one of the highest risk bikes the grom is pricey

·
Registered
15 Posts
That's scary I insure a 12 multistrada, 09 hypermotard, 08 fjr1300, 2 07 crf230ls, 07 te610, 05 cbr1000, 97 nighthawk 750 and 96 xr400 all with full coverage $100 deductible for less than $2200 multiple tickets but 40 years exp.

Roy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's scary I insure a 12 multistrada, 09 hypermotard, 08 fjr1300, 2 07 crf230ls, 07 te610, 05 cbr1000, 97 nighthawk 750 and 96 xr400 all with full coverage $100 deductible for less than $2200 multiple tickets but 40 years exp.

Roy
Yeah well apparently my age + experience means I'm going to total the bike every year :rolleyes:

I'm told it should drop by about 25% by upon renewal, otherwise I wouldn't keep paying for it.. It's absurd, hell the ticket I could get for being uninsured costs less than I pay in insurance each year. And I've never been pulled over before, makes me wonder..

Too bad you're apparently not allowed to insure for just half the year in Ontario.. I hardly ride it in winter months anyways..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Insurance in Ontario is very high in general though, apparently due to no fault laws.. You can have an accident that in the end is deemed nobodies fault so both drivers get off with a clean record and it all comes out of the insurance companies pockets, causing astronomically high insurance rates.. at least that's what I was told the reason was.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yikes, I think I pay about $150 a year on my SV650(WI, no tickets, marginal coverage). Not a wicked fast bike, but certainly a rocket compared to the Grom, no offense.

Do we think that its small stature has anything to do with the high prices? It's probable less people would see you on it versus a Goldwing or 'busa.

·
Registered
134 Posts
That's crazy expensive. That's close to what I pay for 3 bikes! Progressive baby!
Wow that's a good rate I Just called progressive and they were almost $400 full coverage. I have no tickets, no accidents, have taken a training course and have 14 years ON ROAD experience. Insurance is going to vary state to state & country to country but I wouldn't think that much, is what it is though. As to Kyle response of "that means nothing to me" you asked a general question with minimal information and I gave you an answer if you didn't like it a simple "hey thanks" would have sufficed not that crappy response. By the way this is the only bike in my garage at the time, had to sell the rest but last year my 08' klr650 was $390 by AAA

·
Registered
61 Posts
Progressive quoted me 3 different packages, basic being 80, im assuming that was liability but then i got two full coverage quotes at 225 for the year, and another at 340ish. havent tried geico which is who i insurance my stang with.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It's a new bike to the system. It will take several years for the price to settle in. Some will insure it cheap based on CCs and others will error on the high side to cover their ass' until the repair/replace numbers start coming in. Based solely one MSRP and CC size is SHOULD be very cheap to insure. Especially in states where winter prohibits much use.

·
Registered
254 Posts
It's a new bike to the system. It will take several years for the price to settle in. Some will insure it cheap based on CCs and others will error on the high side to cover their ass' until the repair/replace numbers start coming in. Based solely one MSRP and CC size is SHOULD be very cheap to insure. Especially in states where winter prohibits much use.
The brave continue to ride all winter. I'm eager to see how well this performs in the snow. My KTM was all over the place because of wide tires and low weight. I'm expecting the Grom to be even worse.... still gotta try it though!

·
Registered
11 Posts
In a quote from Geico, it added $660 to my premium. Keep in mind, I am 23 with no credit lines, and only a few years worth of experience. So for it being a brand new model, from a major manufacture-- that is not too bad.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Upper 20s, married, good credit. My KTM 625 SMC was $9 a month but my Grom is $13. It looks like the quote was messed up though as it shows my engine size at 625 still. I'm having them fix that and see if it drops any. Either way though my SV650 a couple years ago was $50 a month and my Concours14 is currently at $25-30 (I pay extra for bike mod coverage since I have a lot of expensive upgrades on it).

·
Registered
26 Posts
35, zero tickets

To insure my Grom it was $7 a month. full Coverage $100 deductible.

To insure my Hayabusa it was $124 a month, full Coverage $100 deductible.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts